• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lock Individual Apps on Samsung S8

Denis_BR

Lurker
Aug 27, 2019
I have Samsung Galaxy S8 and I use Samsung Email App to connect with my work email (Via Microsoft Exchange account).

I am trying to figure out what is the best app to lock my Samsung Email App.
Please note that I am aware of Samsung Secure Folder – and it is NOT an option.

I have also assessed some frequently recommended software including AppLock and Norton. However after learning a few tricks from You Tube videos – bypassing these apps would not be an issue even for someone like me with very basic “unlocking” skills.

Question 1
Is there any dissent app that can provide some better protection for Samsung Email App in the event that the phone is lost or stolen? OK based on what I have seen so far a 100% protection is out of the question – but something that will be into the next level down – say secure in 60%-80% situations?

Question 2
I have also realised that in addition to Samsung Email App some other apps should be protected (e.g. Settings, Calendars etc) – is there any LONG list specifying all apps need to be locked on Samsung Galaxy.

yep. if a thief was to steal your phone and do not know what lockscreen pin or or pattern was setup with, they would need your google acct info to unlock the phone. so long as that is safe your phone should be fine. if a thief tries to do a factory rest the phone's FRP (Factory Reset Protection) will kick in and again they will need your google acct info.

i have not come across any app that you are looking for to protect your email......sorry.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Hi Dannydet

I set up a lock screen from the very first day.
However, my real issue is that irrespective how strong the password is there are a number of options to bypass (unlock) screen on S8.
Samsung inbuilt Email app does not have an option for a password protection – and that is why I am trying to ascertain if there is a reliable third party app that can lock up Samsung Email app.

Regards
David

Upvote 0
Hi Dannydet

I set up a lock screen from the very first day.
However, my real issue is that irrespective how strong the password is there are a number of options to bypass (unlock) screen on S8.
Samsung inbuilt Email app does not have an option for a password protection – and that is why I am trying to ascertain if there is a reliable third party app that can lock up Samsung Email app.

Regards
David
this looks promising:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hyperspeed.rocket.applock.free

there are other app locks you can get on the play store as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones