• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lockscreen is stuck, glad I have removable battery!

Palmetto Fellow

Android Expert
Sep 24, 2010
SC
I've had my EVO V for about 2 weeks now. It's currently bone stock with the latest OTA update. I shrugged this off the first time it happened, but it's happened again, so I am starting to get a bit concerned.

My lockscreen wouldn't unlock. I tried sliding the ring, but it would only go up a half inch then bounce back down to the lock position. I tried it several times with the same results. Luckily, I must have unlocked it within the past 5 minutes as I was able to pull the status bar down and select my browser, and upon exiting the browser, I was unlocked back on my homescreen. The first time it happened, the password protection was enabled, so I ended up calling myself and after hanging up, I was able to put in the password, bypassing the lockscreen.

I decided to turn the phone off, and it got stuck in shutting down. I got as far as the pure black screen, but it just sat there, with a backlit black screen waiting to shut down, and never did. I had to remove the battery. I don't recall this happening when I rebooted the phone the first time I had the lockscreen issue.

Any ideas how to investigate this? Please don't say "root the phone and install a custom ROM". I like the 3D aspect of this phone.

there are tons of custom roms that have 3d working...
mobster rom
midnight (not the jellybean version)
mean rom
sos m
and lots of others...

Wait a minute, what's all this I've been reading about the 3D being proprietary yadda yadda...HTC won't release the source code...blah blah.

Are there any JB ROMs with 4G and 3D working?

Upvote 0
4G yes, 3d no.

OK, let's forget about Jellybean for a moment...

I had basically written off flashing ROMs because I was under the impression that nobody had any that supported 3D; I wanted to keep 3D working. I am now slowly starting to discover that 3D works and so does 4G on some ICS ROMs...is that correct?:D

Did I just read everyone wrong when they said things like HTC keeping their 3D stuff under wraps? Does Unlocked Potential support both 4G and 3D? And by 3D, I mean 3D camera and 3D display? If so, I think I've found my first ROM.

Upvote 0
OK, let's forget about Jellybean for a moment...

I had basically written off flashing ROMs because I was under the impression that nobody had any that supported 3D; I wanted to keep 3D working. I am now slowly starting to discover that 3D works and so does 4G on some ICS ROMs...is that correct?:D

Did I just read everyone wrong when they said things like HTC keeping their 3D stuff under wraps? Does Unlocked Potential support both 4G and 3D? And by 3D, I mean 3D camera and 3D display? If so, I think I've found my first ROM.

yes... and its because it is based on stock... and dont get me wrong... mobster did a great job customizing and it looks nothing like stock... but its internals are related to what htc gave us... therefore, no reverse engineering is needed to get 3d working... roms not based on the stock, dont have the same internals and therefore need some long and painfull work to get 3d up and running because htc wont release source code...

Reactions: Palmetto Fellow
Upvote 0
yes... and its because it is based on stock... and dont get me wrong... mobster did a great job customizing and it looks nothing like stock... but its internals are related to what htc gave us... therefore, no reverse engineering is needed to get 3d working... roms not based on the stock, dont have the same internals and therefore need some long and painfull work to get 3d up and running because htc wont release source code...

Damn, had I realized this a week ago, I'd already be rooted with a new ROM. Time for me to take rooting more seriously. I got some research to do :D

Upvote 0
Damn, had I realized this a week ago, I'd already be rooted with a new ROM. Time for me to take rooting more seriously. I got some research to do :D

You've never checked out any of the ROM threads? That was the first thing I did when I got this phone lol rooting and s-off are easy, don't let the directions intimidate you and if you have any questions there's plenty of us who can help

Upvote 0
You've never checked out any of the ROM threads? That was the first thing I did when I got this phone lol rooting and s-off are easy, don't let the directions intimidate you and if you have any questions there's plenty of us who can help

Looks like I picked a helluva night to unlock my bootloader. The HTCdev site isn't working properly. I've spent over an hour and a half waiting for pages to load, only to have them fail, and then retry, and fail...over and over.

I somehow (in that 90 minutes) was able to get all the way to the screen where you enter the identifier token...only to get a 173 error, which I've googled...and there's some talk over on XDA about how everybody is getting the same error. HTC seems to be aware of this issue, but I expect it to continue through tomorrow.

The irony is that the registration process is flawless. I got registered and email sent within like 5 seconds.

Perhaps someday I'll get my bootloader unlocked :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones