• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking forward to 4G in the UK? Forget about it

The networks got stung big time when they bid for the 3g licenses and paid way over the odds.

They seemed to think that video calling was the future but it's only been recently with the popularity of smartphones that 3g has been really used. And now the networks are being really stretcheddue to their explosion.

So 4g is really needed (more than 3g wa sat the time) but they are in no hurry to make the same mistake again.

To be honest all I want is a really good 'H' signal. At home if it wasn't for wi-fi my phone would be unusable as an internet device as 90% of the time I'm inside the house I can't get a 3g signal despite what the Vodafone maps suggest.

Upvote 0
tbh i get annoyed with businesses saying "blah blah networks should do better to provide us rural businesses with connectivity as we dont have good broadband"

should it be the premise of
1. the business shouldnt complain about another business providing it a service as its not within that other businesses interest as its not cost effective
2. the ownus should be on the goverment that made the mistake of privatising BT and not enforcing rules for cable to also go into other areas.

Im not even rural and i cant get a fibre line from cable and wireless yet bt get the blame for not providing coverage?

people should realise that its not the networks at fault. its government that messed up with high demands and legeslations/sactions that forced the carriers to spend ludricrous amounts of money on hardware to support these standards.
were not just behind in mobile data, we are behind in internat data in general.

mobile data were not even that bad, MOST countries dont have as much 3g as us. its only a core few.
that article is ill founded and bias

Upvote 0

The UK 3G network is faster than the majority of other countries who have nerfed 4G.

Seriously nobody in the UK will signup to 4G as it will be a metered tarif plus the fact that you can already get 7MB 3g in most of the UK. If you can't get that then change networks, I'm with three and have been allover the uk and never had a problem, here in cornwall im getting 6mb download speed and it's a very rural area.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones