1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Looking forward to 4G in the UK? Forget about it

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Sak01, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Sak01

Sak01 Android Expert
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    No 4G? Blame the networks | News | TechRadar

This is getting ridiculous.

Advertisement

2. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Male
    Uk
    I guess I can't complain with 3g as its all in used to and does a pretty good job. Can happily stream YouTube videos and upload photos on the go etc. I think it'll be the case of not knowing how I survived without 4g before I get my mitts on it.

3. Sak01

Sak01 Android Expert
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    I suppose that's one way of looking at it. You can't miss what you've never had. But I still find it bemusing that we are lagging behind.

4. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    UK
    The networks got stung big time when they bid for the 3g licenses and paid way over the odds.

They seemed to think that video calling was the future but it's only been recently with the popularity of smartphones that 3g has been really used. And now the networks are being really stretcheddue to their explosion.

So 4g is really needed (more than 3g wa sat the time) but they are in no hurry to make the same mistake again.

To be honest all I want is a really good 'H' signal. At home if it wasn't for wi-fi my phone would be unusable as an internet device as 90% of the time I'm inside the house I can't get a 3g signal despite what the Vodafone maps suggest.

5. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Android Expert
    None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    tbh i get annoyed with businesses saying "blah blah networks should do better to provide us rural businesses with connectivity as we dont have good broadband"

should it be the premise of
    1. the business shouldnt complain about another business providing it a service as its not within that other businesses interest as its not cost effective
    2. the ownus should be on the goverment that made the mistake of privatising BT and not enforcing rules for cable to also go into other areas.

Im not even rural and i cant get a fibre line from cable and wireless yet bt get the blame for not providing coverage?

people should realise that its not the networks at fault. its government that messed up with high demands and legeslations/sactions that forced the carriers to spend ludricrous amounts of money on hardware to support these standards.
    were not just behind in mobile data, we are behind in internat data in general.

mobile data were not even that bad, MOST countries dont have as much 3g as us. its only a core few.
    that article is ill founded and bias

6. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    I'm looking forward to solid 3G coverage. I don't really need 4g. 3g does all the streaming and browsing I need, when its strong enough. Improve what we have...

7. leerees

leerees Lurker
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    The UK 3G network is faster than the majority of other countries who have nerfed 4G.

Seriously nobody in the UK will signup to 4G as it will be a metered tarif plus the fact that you can already get 7MB 3g in most of the UK. If you can't get that then change networks, I'm with three and have been allover the uk and never had a problem, here in cornwall im getting 6mb download speed and it's a very rural area.

8. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Bet iPhone users will get 4g. Get as in want

Tags: