• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Looking to buy my very first Android device

I'd recommend going to a best buy or at&t store and trying some out. With Android there are differences between stock android, TouchWiz on Samsungs, Sense on HTC, whatever Motorola calls their UI even though it is very close to stock. Also, there are many different screen sizes and device sizes. It's a good idea to make sure you are getting what works for you, and that may differ from any advice given here.;)

I think the S5 is the latest in that line, so I'm guessing you are getting the S4 for next to nothing. Don't sell yourself to short as you are going to have it for 2 years at least. All that said, my wife has an S3 and still loves and uses it everyday, so I don't think you will do poorly with the S4.

Me, I'm a Moto X fan. I also know people here that swear by HTC and have plenty of justification for that.

Finally, I moved this to the Device and Carrier comparision forum where you can get exposed to different opinion.:)

Upvote 0
Just MHO but...Not a Samsung fan at all myself - just can't stand Touchwiz and I'm always disappointed in Samsung's build quality. I'd go with the Moto X hands down over a S4. If you can deal with the size and price, the Nexus 6 is phenomenal, the best phone I've ever had in my hands. Unfortunately, AT&T has mucked around with their version of the Nexus 6 somewhat, but it's still terrific.

Upvote 0
I tether on my gs4 frequently (to my Wi-Fi only iPad mini 2). It's a no cost option and just uses data on my family share plan. I have the 10 Gb (upgraded to 15 Gb plan).

The Gs4 is great, especially if you can get a 32 GB version. Else I suggest the Gs5. I have no problem with the build quality of the Galaxy and prefer the plastic construction to the metal for various reasons.

I have no issue with Touchwiz either but prefer and use Nova Prime.

Build construction and launchers tend to be personal preferences. Decide what you like. And have fun!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So im guessing you will be signing a 2 year plan. I would seriously not get a samsung. People love them at first but you get tired of them. I have the s3 and it lags so bad. Im getting my upgrade in February and im getting the day of my upgrade. If your on budget if thats why your getting the s4 they I would get the htc 610 or moto x or moto x 2nd gen. Hey if dont want to be tied down 2 a 2 year then go fo the moto g 2nd gen its 179 unlocked and if you buy a phone unlocked and get there service on It your are not tied down 2 a 2 year and that phone is crazy good for that price and the good thing is you can try out the phone and if you dont like it you can get another.

Upvote 0
I have a moto x 2nd gen myself and I would absolutely recommend that phone to you. Its an amazing phone. But there is one thing that isnt good and I dont know if it bothers you. I would assume so since you're coming from an Iphone. The camera definitely isn't the best, and iphones do have amazing camera quality. Other than that, its a great phone.

Since this hasn't been said in here, I would also recommend the lg g3. It has an amazing screen, and a great camera, and a removable battery and a SD card slot. Same specs as the moto x, tech wise, but has lg's skin on it.

Upvote 0
I have a moto x 2nd gen myself and I would absolutely recommend that phone to you. Its an amazing phone. But there is one thing that isnt good and I dont know if it bothers you. I would assume so since you're coming from an Iphone. The camera definitely isn't the best, and iphones do have amazing camera quality. Other than that, its a great phone.

Since this hasn't been said in here, I would also recommend the lg g3. It has an amazing screen, and a great camera, and a removable battery and a SD card slot. Same specs as the moto x, tech wise, but has lg's skin on it.
Ok guys dont hate me for this but I would also deeply consider the blackberry passport. It's coming to att in about 1 to 2 weeks and that phone is great. Im getting my upgrade and Im deeply considering it. So bb thought they would only be selling it enterprice but no the whole world bought it. I tried put my friends amazibg device great camera the build is like no other but if not I would go for the moto x 2nd gen.

Upvote 0
Just watching a YT vid on hotspot testing and the G3 blew the iPhone 5 away.

I am just worried I will get a G3 or G2 and have to send it back due to sub par hotspot speeds, compared to my iphone.
Nah dont worry man actually my buddy has a g3 and he loves has not had one problem. While the g3 is better then the g2 the g2 is definitely the more bang for your buck. Sense your iphone and your opening up to a phone I would consider these phones
·BLACKBERRY PASSPORT
·Lg g2
·Lg g3
·Moto x 2nd gen
·Htc one m8
Also my sister has had the nokia lumia 1520 and she let me use for a hour and I haft to say that phone is pretty goof like really. Look up some reviews on each of the phone see which one you like

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones