• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Losing data and apps?

BAC5.2

Jun 29, 2010
I'm interested in rooting mostly to improve the stability of my phone. Randomly, GPS will fail to pick up signal (requiring a reboot, which sucks) and the phone frequently slows to a crawl (literally, it'll take a dozen or more seconds to open a simple app). Battery life is kind of "meh" as it is, and it randomly drops data connections.

From what I've read, rooting will solve most (if not all) of my problems.

So, I've done a little reading and was thinking about using the Froyo BB ROM. It seems reliable free of bugs. It also seems to come with the 800MHz kernel, which I imagine most phones can handle. I'd be interested to see about OC'ing to ~1GHz so long as it's extremely stable.

But, reading the Unlockr How To (How To: Root the Motorola Droid (Android 2.0.1 & 2.1) | TheUnlockr) it seems that no matter what, my data will be lost.

So what data is that exactly? All of my contacts? My pictures? My apps? How do I back that all up prior to rooting? I'm not as concerned with free apps, I can always re-download them. But I am concerned with the few paid apps I have.

It seems like there is very little chance of an issue so long as I follow the directions, and I can always unroot to go back to stock.

Any additional info would be a great help!

I was going to use this ROM: http://androidforums.com/all-things...-stable-bugless-beast-v0-3-android-2-2-a.html

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones