• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lotus Traveler install on Captivate?

I know traveler beta is not officially supported on AT&T captivate phones since they lock ability to allow non-market apps.

I'm also aware that you can use the SWM to sideload .apk's

My question is, since the lotusinstaller.apk can be sideloaded, but then pulls down LotusTraveler.apk - which then fails with the "Install Blocked - For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market" messge, if I was able to obtain teh lotustraveler.apk from my notes guys and sideload that would this workaround the install issue?

I'm curious if anyone has gotten traveler installed on a captivate successfully and if so, how you accomplished it? Thanks!

Reactions: mseibel
Ok I'll answer my own question :)
Turns out yes you can...the installer apk pulls down the traveler apk normally - but thanks to ATT's lockdown - for captivate there is another step: as long as you can obtain the traveler apk (like from your notes admins) - then it can be sideloaded too and will then install - thanks to mseibel for the proof of concept! :)

Hopefully once this app gets to the Market this will be a nonissue - but until then - the installer apk, presumably for notes admins to push out updates later, would fail on any subsequent download/installs later on unless you went through this same method with any new apk's pushed to the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones