• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Low Space: All Droid Incredibles?

It is not even 150mb, since the warning appears at 135mb in the data/data folder. I zapped all data folder hungry apps and went from always stuck at about 400mb to 620mb device storage filled. Can not get past that, since data folder is at about 135mb, so get the low on space error. The Inc firmware designers should be banned from working on future devices.

iPhone & iPod does not have the constraint because ALL of the storage is for apps and media. I have 11gb of apps on my 64gb iPod and no space issues. Plenty of room for tunes too ; )

FYI - I'm at 130mb & my warning is on...

Upvote 0
1. The problem stems from a directory \data\data which is completely hidden unless you have root.

2. The problem arises when the 150 megabyte \data\data directory has less than 10% free.

3. With root, you can run Cache Cleaner which cleans up stray data in this partition.

4. With root, you can run "Not Enough Space" (available in the marketplace) which enables you to move some data out of \data\data to make more room.

The other "solutions" reported in this thread and elsewhere, for the most part, only address the symptoms. They do not cure the "disease" which is the 150 megabyte limitation of the \data\data directory.

I'm rooted but I can't see /data/data - what app do you use? I'm using Astro...

also, is Cache Cleaner the same as the Cache Cleaner in apps2sd? it's by the same guy Sam Lu.

Upvote 0
I'm rooted but I can't see /data/data - what app do you use? I'm using Astro...

also, is Cache Cleaner the same as the Cache Cleaner in apps2sd? it's by the same guy Sam Lu.

Use Root Explorer, by Speed Software, available in the marketplace, to view the \data\data directory.

I use Cache Cleaner NG by L. Sartory, also available in the marketplace.

Reactions: ruddogg
Upvote 0
Been a while since I posted in any of these threads. I wanted to post a semi-update on what I've found. First, let me thank those that have posted here and given the info they've compiled. Without that input, I'd still be nowhere on this issue. Anyway...

Many individuals have already posted what is the actual trigger of this "Low Space..." warning. But, in case you're new to the situation, it has to do with a root folder titled /data/data. To view this folder, you MUST be rooted (at least as far as I can imagine) and the app Root Explorer is perfect. Yes, it's a paid app. But, it works and is well regarded/supported. When you find the /data/data, you will see "***MB used, ***MB free". If you add those two, you will come to 150MB. That is because HTC has restricted this folder to a cap of 150MB. This folder accounts for any cache and data your apps use. When you get to 15MB or less, the warning is set to appear.

Solutions (some require root access and some do not):

Clear Cache: This is an option that helps. It doesn't FIX, but it helps to manage the situation. I prefer Cache Cleaner NG as it allows me to schedule it to run daily. Also, I purchased CacheMate for Root Users thinking that it must be better than its Free counterpart, but neither of them are able to find any Cache to clean after I've run the free Cache Cleaner NG app - quite annoying. Cleaning your cache will help you to eliminate unneeded space use. It's quick, it's easy, and more often than not provides relief. The problem is that it rarely cleans more than 5-10MB. That means that you're not really cleaning the house, as much as clearing a way from one room to another, lol.

Clear Data: You can always go to your Settings>Applications>Manage Applications and start from the top. As you go down the list of apps and click on individual apps, you will the Storage use: Total, Application, and Data. Below, you can click on "Clear Data". If you just do that across the board, that will often help a great deal. However, it's also a bit silly in my eyes to do that without prejudice. Case and point, Facebook. FB often has a fairly large amount of data. Problem is, if you clear it, you will also remove your login information and this is really only a temporary fix, since once you sign back in and all your "News" repopulates, you'll be right back to where you were. Certain apps are known to use more data than others are and therefore often pegged as the "Cause". Some of these would be the HTC Email app, Facebook, Flash 10.1, etc. Problem is, these aren't BAD apps, they just push your phone closer to its limits and may expedite the process. But eliminating them entirely can make you HATE your phone, and that's no good. Better to understand this situation and true cause, than start naively pointing fingers.

Move Apps to SD: App 2 SD is a helpful solution in that it reduces the number of apps that require your onboard storage for data. This isn't a total solution, but it does help a great deal. As a test, I moved all my apps to Phone and cleared Cache. I had less than 1MB and numerous background apps kept force closing due to lack of space. Then, I went ahead and moved about 49 apps over to the SD card. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 165 apps total. After moving them, I had in the area of 48MB free.

Remove Sense: I know, some of you are probably asking how and WHY anyone would do such a thing. For a long time, I couldn't imagine how anyone could deal with a senceless device, those poor HTC-ignorant saps. However, after exploring the diverse world of Roms, I've come to realize how great things can be outside of Eden (no Notion Inc pun intended ;)). I use CM7 and have great respect for it. There are other great options out there, MIUI being a crowd pleaser and a favorite of mine. I've come to realize that the Sense Apps, Widgets, etc. use a great deal of the /data/data folder. By eliminating that, you also reduce the incidence of the low space affect. Also, the warning in and of itself is no longer present. This is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing in that you'll never be plagued by that annoying warning. However, the actual folder size is not affected and you'll have to learn to recognize the symptoms. It took me a while to realize that when you start to find your Browser (I use Dolphin HD) and/or other apps begin to FC without reason an on a regular basis, this might be your issue. Often, cleaning your Cache will help, but as explained above, it's not really a "Fix" as much as a bandaid.

So, I'm sure there is much more than can be written and added, but I hope that this at least helps to illustrate some of the various options and how they might actually help. I will try an check back in on this thread in case I end up causing some confusion or if anyone has any questions. But if I don't respond, please don't hesitate PM'ing me. I'm no expert, but I've done just about everything possible to address this situation. I hope my experience can help.

Reactions: DodgerinNH
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones