• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Made-for-the-EVO Car Mount??

I'm also waiting on Proclip, however with my Innocase I don't think I'm going to end up using whatever they come up with sadly... in the meantime I picked this up, waiting for it to arrive.

I like it a bit better than that monoprice one as it doesn't look so bulky, the goosneck should let me orient it in any direction. IT was about $5, so even if it's crap it's not that big of a loss.

CAR MOUNT WINDSHIELD HOLDER FOR HTC HD2 HD 2 T-MOBILE - eBay (item 120578619785 end time Jul-03-10 06:21:10 PDT)

dothxxxxuph1_acc.jpg

eBayISAPI.dll

Upvote 0
I guess nobody read my thread.

I actually sell proclip, so if you buy direct, you're wasting money. Just saying.

I'm using the innocase currently (though it's not up to Seidio's normal standards) and picked up the adjustable iphone holder. If you're going with any sort of case on the Evo, it is the way to go as ProClip will not make an Evo holder for anything but a naked Evo. And at this rate, the adjustable will fit a naked Evo and give you the option to add a case later, switch to another phone and so on. I see no point in buying specific phone holders since many of us tend to jump from phone to phone every year.

The only plus if you have a naked Evo is the possibility ProClip gives the holder a fuzzy coating. They don't seem to always do this, so you just don't know. But the soft touch finish on the Evo shouldn't have issues with their regular holders.

A couple more things. The HD2 is thinner. Do not buy an HD2 specific holder. Typical cheap adjustable holders are just crap. They are so deep that the phone almost seems lost in them (namely, the one mentioned by Biles as well as Bracketron's). You have to squeeze and release every time the phone goes in and out. And you just get what you pay for. They also don't always have the AMPS mounting holes in the back if you choose to mount it properly and not to your windshield or vents.

My recommendation would be to go with ProClip's adjustable holder, and you can read more about it in the thread I linked above. But of course, I have a built in bias. Even if I didn't, I just don't believe in junking up the car with cheap mounts and holders. I want things to look as clean and OEM as possible. Also, the adjustable holder does not interfere with any of the buttons.

Attachments

• evoinnocaseproclip04.jpg
    evoinnocaseproclip04.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 452
  • evoinnocaseproclip03.jpg
    evoinnocaseproclip03.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 406
  • evoinnocaseproclip01.jpg
    evoinnocaseproclip01.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 366
  • evoinnocaseproclip02.jpg
    evoinnocaseproclip02.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 352
Upvote 0
I guess nobody read my thread.

I actually sell proclip, so if you buy direct, you're wasting money. Just saying.

I'm using the innocase currently (though it's not up to Seidio's normal standards) and picked up the adjustable iphone holder. If you're going with any sort of case on the Evo, it is the way to go as ProClip will not make an Evo holder for anything but a naked Evo. And at this rate, the adjustable will fit a naked Evo and give you the option to add a case later, switch to another phone and so on. I see no point in buying specific phone holders since many of us tend to jump from phone to phone every year.

The only plus if you have a naked Evo is the possibility ProClip gives the holder a fuzzy coating. They don't seem to always do this, so you just don't know. But the soft touch finish on the Evo shouldn't have issues with their regular holders.

A couple more things. The HD2 is thinner. Do not buy an HD2 specific holder. Typical cheap adjustable holders are just crap. They are so deep that the phone almost seems lost in them (namely, the one mentioned by Biles as well as Bracketron's). You have to squeeze and release every time the phone goes in and out. And you just get what you pay for. They also don't always have the AMPS mounting holes in the back if you choose to mount it properly and not to your windshield or vents.

My recommendation would be to go with ProClip's adjustable holder, and you can read more about it in the thread I linked above. But of course, I have a built in bias. Even if I didn't, I just don't believe in junking up the car with cheap mounts and holders. I want things to look as clean and OEM as possible. Also, the adjustable holder does not interfere with any of the buttons.

Does that case work on any vent? I drive an 05 GMC sierra. I like that holder even though it's $40!!!

Upvote 0
Does that case work on any vent? I drive an 05 GMC sierra. I like that holder even though it's $40!!!

All of Proclips 'device holders' work with ANY of thier Vehicle mounts. You're clearance for turning the device may vary with your dash layout and which vehicle mount you get.

For your car, see here:
ProClip Mounting System*-*Vehicle Mounts

Those are the available VEHICLE MOUNT's for your car, you then need to purchase a DEVICE HOLDER for your device.

Vehicle Mount + Device Holder = Hands Free Goodness.
It's a bit pricey compared to most holders but you're buying a system that will look like it was factory installed, very well done.

The main website is actually pretty good about showing you all the installation options, complete with downloadable install instructions before you buy so you know exactly what you're getting. They also have lots of 'extension' options to hold multiple devices, angle devices, tilting etc..

The main URL is: ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts

I've had mine for years and love it, only had to swap out the holder once, since my old device used a 'move clip' system that simply attaches to any device. (It was permanently mounted in the car, I'd never do that on a phone) You can find info here on that which works for ANY device you can think of: ProClip Mounting System*-*Move Clip System

Oh and they have a blog, where they show an IPAD MOUNT!! Wow! That has to be illegal somewhere I think: ProClip Brodit Blog

Reactions: dbpaddler
Upvote 0
It's not a vent mount. ProClip holders are part of a two piece system. There is a dash mount that is specific to your vehicle and the holder. Yes they are pricey, but they are solid and much nicer looking than any cheap vent mount or $5 adjustable holder. I've actually sold quite a few to people on here (and other forums, ebay, and so on) that can vouch for the quality.

So your GMC Sierra has quite a few areas for mounting:
image.aspx%2Fmedia%2Fimages%2Fproducts%2F853233%2D4%2Ejpg-140x
image.aspx%2Fmedia%2Fimages%2Fproducts%2F853306%2D4%2Ejpg-140x
image.aspx%2Fmedia%2Fimages%2Fproducts%2Fdashmounts%2F852981%2D3%2EJPG-140x
image.aspx%2Fmedia%2Fimages%2Fproducts%2F853307%2D4%2Ejpg-140x
image.aspx%2Fmedia%2Fimages%2Fproducts%2F803122%2D4%2Ejpg-140x

Again, I can save you some coin. Their adjustable holder will outlive many phones. I had the standard ipod adjustable and the only reason I can't use it anymore is the phones got too thin for it. Had to upgrade to the iphone adjustable which has thinner rails.

Reactions: SolApathy
Upvote 0
I actually have guys buying ipad mounts for their front seat headrest so the kids can watch movies and such in the back seat. Imagine a BT game controller so kids could really play some games on it.

For other guys looking for mounts for their vehicles, here is the link to the dash mounts with drop down menus for your make, model and year.

I've been selling their products ever since I helped design some holsters for the early rounds of smartphones after I approached Seidio and they said to bugger off only to come back two years later and steal all the business away. But I still sell on the various forums I frequent and a little bit on ebay when I have the time.

The move clip systems are nice. I've used those a bit, and they're great for people with multiple vehicles and don't want to buy multiple mounts. People who frequently rent vehicles can buy a move kit and one of their windshield mounts which makes it easy to pop into any rental car. I did that up in Boston and was rockin' the Sync system and Pandora via BT

So any type of install you can imagine, I can offer some insight, point you in the right direction, and even offer other solutions if proclip doesn't work. Some vehicles just aren't setup with a lot of cracks and crevices to use their dash mounts so there are companies like Bracketron, Panavise and Kuda that provide other options. Though ProClip and Kuda are the only ones that don't require removing the center dash bezel. Kuda's are generally more expensive and don't have as many mounting options either.

Upvote 0
On the Evo it's Navigator.. unless you're refering to something that AUTO-places it when docked, and I'm not sure one exists for the Evo (Doesn't there need to be some sort of sensor?)

Someone mentioned it before, but yeah, when docked it's supposed to put the phone in landscape mode. Navigator is just google nav

Upvote 0
Someone mentioned it before, but yeah, when docked it's supposed to put the phone in landscape mode. Navigator is just google nav

Nope, and I know it's confusing, blame HTC.. but "Navigator" is the car dock menu. "NavigatION" is Google maps ;P (In the settings Navigator is references as "NaviPanel" too!) Either way it doesn't do landscape, none of the HTC Widgets do it seems yet.

I know(or think?) the Incredible has some sort of magnet sensor that works with the dock to know it's in a dock.. I think the evo can only tell if it's got a USB plugged in..

Upvote 0
Nope, and I know it's confusing, blame HTC.. but "Navigator" is the car dock menu. "NavigatION" is Google maps ;P (In the settings Navigator is references as "NaviPanel" too!) Either way it doesn't do landscape, none of the HTC Widgets do it seems yet.

I know(or think?) the Incredible has some sort of magnet sensor that works with the dock to know it's in a dock.. I think the evo can only tell if it's got a USB plugged in..

I checked with my cousin-in-law, who has a Moto-Droid and it is called "Car Home."

Thanks for the explanation. That's no problem, just loved the thought of being able to pop my phone into the car dock, pressing "car home" and it automatically adjusts the phone with landscape icons to aid a driver from having to work too hard to get directions. Not a big deal for me, since I usually set my destination before I get on the road, but it'd be nice to have that option.

Upvote 0

It sucks that navigator doesn't do lanscape.

I'm hoping waiting for the HTC car mount won't be a waste (finding out id have to remove the case makes it a waste to me).

Upvote 0
It sucks that navigator doesn't do lanscape.

I'm hoping waiting for the HTC car mount won't be a waste (finding out id have to remove the case makes it a waste to me).

I personally don't see the HTC car mount designed with an aftermarket case in mind. Proprietary stuff rarely, if ever, accounts for anything like that. HTC has never made hard case covers, to my knowledge, so I wouldn't expect the car mount to be adjustable to fit an added case.

Upvote 0
If you're looking for a landscape'able Car Dock menu, there are two I found in Appbrain that allow you to customize what icons are shown, both claim they work with all existing car docks (Though they mention Froyo changed the mechanism and they are working on that).

One is called "Car Dock V2"
Car Dock v2 - Android app on AppBrain
It seems to work, but I'm not sure I like the blown up icons, they look horrible. But that might just be the quality of the icons on the apps I have.

And the other is "Custom Car Home"
Custom Car Home - Android app on AppBrain
I've not tried this one yet myself... but looks about the same.

The one difference I see from screenshots is CarDockV2 allows you to have 5 different screens (5x6=30 shortcuts) while in car dock mode, the other appears to be the standard one,

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if there are any problems with using the Evo in a car mount due to the grounding issues like in this video here YouTube - EVO 4G Screen Issues - Ungrounded Screen

If there are, I'm probably going to cancel my order because GPS navigation is such a big deal for me.

It's weird because despite people mentioning this, I haven't experienced this issue yet.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if there are any problems with using the Evo in a car mount due to the grounding issues like in this video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8U2amlgb1M&feature=player_embedded
If there are, I'm probably going to cancel my order because GPS navigation is such a big deal for me.

I know some people think this is the end of the world....but it isn't. You have five fingers, use one (or two) on the screen...and pick the easiest of your remaining fingers to touch the case.

Upvote 0
I know some people think this is the end of the world....but it isn't. You have five fingers, use one (or two) on the screen...and pick the easiest of your remaining fingers to touch the case.
I don't have this issue at all on my phone...so maybe they fixed it, or maybe it's a sporadic issue with some bad lots or some wavering in the manufacturing process...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones