• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Magazine selection

freagul

Mar 2, 2011
I'm thinking about dumping my 1st Gen iPad and getting the Nexus 7. I mostly use my iPad for reading so the smaller form factor appeals to me, and I like that magazines seem to have a consistent experience on the Nexus 7, whereas on the iPad every publisher has their own way of navigating around, which can be annoying. My only concern is the actual selection of available titles. For example, I read Bloomberg Businessweek, which apparently isn't available as a magazine in Google Play, nor does it even have an app, which frankly I find remarkable. Is this mostly because magazines on android are a fairly new feature? Can anyone comment as to whether more titles will quickly be added? Because right now the selection looks like it sucks, especially for business magazines/journals.

You can add Bloomberg Business week as an RSS feed into the magazines app. Not quite the same as a dedicated one but I suppose it's something.
You can also bookmark the mobile site and add it to the home page as a kind of app :)

Hopefully the popularity of the Nexus 7 might encourage more magazines for the platform.

Upvote 0
Digital is available for Lucky magazine, but only for iPad, nook, and kindle fire. The app will not work for the Nexus 7. Darn shame. Post if you know of a way to get an amazon magazine app to work on an android tablet. :)

just get the kindle reader app for android in the play store and you should be able to read kindle fire books.
Actually the lucky magazine is available in the play store too!

Upvote 0
just get the kindle reader app for android in the play store and you should be able to read kindle fire books.
Actually the lucky magazine is available in the play store too!

It's showing a big red X.... not available for the Nexus 7. And the one in Google play store doesn't seem to have a way for me to enter in that I'm a print subscriber. I think I will e-mail Lucky and ask about this. Thanks anyway.

Upvote 0
The app "Next Issue" is now available on the Nexus 7 .... I like it better than Zinio. The problem with Zinio is that each page is blurry for the first second, then adjusts. That's annoying.
Another thing I like better about Next Issue is that it's a smorgasbord of magazines for one price, like Netflix but for magazines.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones