• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Man, talk about active forums! Noobie alert

It seems customary to introduce yourself here, so.... here goes.

I'm a 60 yo male living in the Mid-Hudson Valley in New York (at least, until the wife retires). I was a "Software Engineer" (read as: software tester) at IBM for 38 years and then I did a Johnny Paycheck on 'em and left. I use MVS and VM LONG ago but was focused on AIX/Linux/SunOS platforms for the majority of my career.

My avatar should be all that's necessary to explain my forum name. :D

I'm a new owner of an LG39C Android (4.1.2) Tracfone. Being new to smartphones in general, trying to wade through the thousands of apps, figure out the good ones and their quirks seems a rather daunting task.

I'll try to not be too much of a PITA. ;)

Steve

Welcome to Android Forums, Steve. :)

You only have a couple of years on me, but the forums run the gamut from snot nosed punks young adults to geezers experienced seniors. ;) We don't seem to have a forum for your specific model phone (yet) so feel free to ask your questions in The Android Lounge for now. If we find it would be better suited someplace else, we'll move it for you and let you know the where's and why's.

Don't worry about asking a lot of questions ... remember that the only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked. Of course there was that time I asked my wife .... um ... better not get into that here. ;) :D

ps. NICE RIDE!

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
Thanks folks. Having been a tester for so long, I'm not shy about trying things. I thought (briefly) about rooting the phone so I could get in and play with the op sys but I figured the result of that would be a hole in my foot and end up revoking my 2 year warranty. So I elected to leave that avenue alone (for the time being) :D

Yeah, I probably fall under the geezer classification if you ask anyone but me. :D

Where in PA? I'm originally from Meadville (between Erie and Pitts) and went to tech school in Da Burgh back in the '70s.

Thanks for the ride comment. My 4th. Currently sleeping until spring. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones