• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Manually applying OTA updates

dodgemalodge

Apr 22, 2010
Hi, hope someone can help. I am sick of waiting for TMobile to reissue their OTA update to 1.21.110.4 so wanted to install it myself. Am desperate to install it as have read in couple of places on XDA forums that it increases the media volume which is a big issue on my device (yes, yes I know some of you get blown away by yours but trust me I'm not deaf or stupid, it's just ridiculously quiet).

Anyway I have managed to download a zip of the update but am confused as to what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you.

The speaker is rubbish.

The media volume may be to do with compatability with headphones..

Designed for 3.5mm TRRS jack but TRS headphones should work too.

3.5 mm jack socket on phone is recessed, so some TRS connectors cant connect properly (the plastic mould around the plug meets the plastic case of the phone and can't fully insert jack plug), resulting in low volume.

Reactions: dodgemalodge
Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply but I'm really just interested in how to apply the update. I'm aware of the facts you've have pointed out as I have read in great depth every volume related article on this and other forums!;)

However despite everything that has been said I am positive this is in some way software (or firmware) related, especially as not everyone has problems with the volume output. I understand that there is only so much that can be done with the quality of the speaker but to be honest I'm not too bothered about that (ok it'd be nice if it was better but that is without doubt a hardware flaw). I am damn well sure though that certain software builds have had their volume output in general (especially through headphones) crippled by something so as I heard this update improves matters I'm determined to get it on my phone.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.:)

Edit: I would just like to add the phone has not been debranded, rooted or anything of the such as of yet and the file I have is:

http://www.filefront.com/16813093/O...10.4-1.15.110.11-release0grz58nlwns0d5mw.zip/

Upvote 0
Ok. Thankyou. I have tried both the HTC headphones and various others with the result being exactly the same. For now please can we forget that I mentioned volume as there are enough of those threads already?

I just want to know if there is any way of applying the OTA update manually. I'm sure I've read that there is but not sure how and can't seem to find the info for looking.

Many thanks.

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks for the info. Is what I am trying to attempt in any way likely to void the warranty as the update I have downloaded is a zip linked from xda?

Also is there any chance you could post the link to the roms you were looking at on the HTC site where you got this info from as I've never had much luck finding anything relevant on their site at all! Must be missing something obvious!:rolleyes:

Oh, by the way, as far as data and settings are concerned I'm not too bothered. Got anything I need either backed up or in my head so not really an issue. Recently did a factory restore for another issue and was back up and running as normal in no time.

Many thanks Danfrance.

Upvote 0
Well, I've successfully managed to update to 1.21.110.4 without screwing it up (nearly had a heart attack at one point but all good)! I have to say I am one VERY happy bunny!!! There is a definite boost in volume!!! I'd say maybe double what it was before! Very straightforward procedure too as long as you don't mind having to back everything up and restore it and set up your accounts again (i removed the sd card once i'd backed up and replaced it with a blank so as avoid total data loss). Then just connected the phone to my pc and ran this file:

http://www.shipped-roms.com/shipped...00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_127570_signed.exe

Think you probably need HTC Sync installed as well but I'm not sure. I did anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any danger of losing my hearing and I haven't tried this on a bus or train yet but as I'm typing I cannot hear a thing and I'm a keyboard basher!! Definite improvement.

Many thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Reckon I'd have been waiting till christmas for TMobile!!

Edit: Volume boost sadly doesn't seem to affect the speaker (but what do you expect) just the headphones output.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones