• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
If you sideload the market you won't get any future updates. Sideloaded apps don't auto-update.

Hmmm.. not sure where you got this information.

I just received a new Captivate about a month ago. When I got it, it was running version 1714. I sideloaded version 2007. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I got 2013 (through an auto-update).

When you sideload the market through an APK, it replaces your existing market, and it is still possible to still get auto-updates.

Upvote 0
Hmmm.. not sure where you got this information.

I just received a new Captivate about a month ago. When I got it, it was running version 1714. I sideloaded version 2007. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I got 2013 (through an auto-update).

When you sideload the market through an APK, it replaces your existing market, and it is still possible to still get auto-updates.

Good to know, I'll update my notes. Thanks.

Upvote 0
So I actually got the update today.

To create an APK, I use Titanium Backup: Go to Backup/Restore, select Market, then Backup. Then, I find the backup on my SD card under TitaniumBackup. It is the file ending in .apk.gz. Then I copy that file over to my Windows machine and use 7zip to extract the file. This results in an APK.

Here's the APK for the latest market (version 2002207).

Upvote 0
I got the new UI for the market last night as well. I much prefer the previous update from a week ago that had Comments and Related in a separate tab. This one is significantly slower to load pages. I also don't like the top half of the screen being dedicated to highlighted apps. I wonder if there's a way to roll back to the previous version?

I'm also not a fan. I liked the previous version WAY more. Luckily, I have the APK for it as well... Market Version 2002013.

Side load it and it will replace your existing market. No guarantees on how long it will last, though! Hmm... Wonder if there is a way to disable the market updater.

-- Update: Five minutes later, it already re-updated to the latest market. So no luck there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones