• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Media volume vs. Ringer Volume: Conflict, or am I doing something wrong?

djeremy1

Lurker
Oct 4, 2010
Purchased two of the Samsung Fascinate's from Verizon about two weeks ago, one for me, and one for the wife. Still learning how to use them, however as of late, I'm experiencing the following issue. After downloading and installing an app, it runs fine with sound the first time around, as do all of the other sound related app's I've installed. The minute you silence the phone with the ringer volume rocker on the left side of the handset, it seems to confuse the entire phone, toggling between ringer volume and media volume when you use the same switch thereafter, and ultimately resulting in no sound function at all on any of the apps. Funny thing is, incoming text message and email notification audio alerts come through, but no sound whatsoever on any of the apps. If you power cycle the phone, everything operates properly for a little while, then reverts right back to the old problem again. I first noticed it when I installed a "light saber" app, where even after you shut down the app, the background sound of the app was still running in the background. Bizarre! Can anyone help me with this? :mad::mad::mad:

I have noticed this myself. I thought i was crazy. Whats even more bizarre, is i downloaded an actual task killer and still noticed the issue. I have to do a battery pull to fix it. It does the same thing after i take my bluetooth off. Sure hope Samsung makes a patch to fix this nasty bug.

Wish I had an answer/solution for you, but i dont. I do however share your pain.

Upvote 0
Well, its nice to know I'm not going crazy then. When I spoke with the Samsung rep via online chat, he wanted me to hard restart the phone which would have resulted in me losing everything. I told him I'd only had the phones for a week or so and it shouldnt be doing this. I'm going to go to Verizon and find out if their tech guys can tell me anything. If it cant be fixed, I may jump ship and go to the Droid X, as much as I dont want to. Hoping someone else on the forum can help me with this.

Upvote 0
Download Quick Settings app. Put it on your home page. It breaks down all the volumes so you can control each individually. I had a problem with turning the volume down with the rocker while my wife was asleep but as soon as I started a game or other media app it was still full volume. She was pissed! I use Quick Settings to turn everything down now.

If you've got an app that's continuing to run in the background after you kill it, that sounds like an app problem. I'd uninstall anything that's not working (or closing) like it should.

HTH

Cuda

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones