• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Menu>Settings>Social Network>Facebook ... Vs. Facebook App?

scottmbolt

Android Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2010
Michigan - Metro Detroit
On my phone I have the Facebook app downloaded from the market. I also noticed that the phone comes bookmarked with Facebook.

So here is my question, under Menu>Settings>Social Network> Facebook appears there. I have that set to update every 12 hours.

HOWEVER, my actual Facebook App is set to update every 2 hours.

So... does the settings under Menu>Settings>Social Network>Facebook control my facebook app or just the bookmark that comes pre-installed on the phone?

I hope this makes sense. I am trying to save battery life, and I noticed that the settings under Menu>Settings>Social Network>Facebook were set to update every hour, but I had the settings under the downloaded app to update every two hours. My goal is to have only one facebook medium updating so I don't drain battery life! lol

thanks for the help!

Hmm very good point tatonka... so I would assume having this set more frequently would be bad for your battery life, correct?

the integrated facebook program is much more accurate and timely than the crap app from the market however with that accuracy comes reduced battery life depending on ur update frequency. i had mine set to the 8 hr interval which u would think wouldn't drain battery but my battery was full when i left the house at 10am and dead by 3ish at work with no charger. I work in a grocery store so there really isn't a place where i would feel safe leaving my phone to charge. So basically play around with it but don't be surprised if battery life takes a dip.

Upvote 0
the integrated facebook program is much more accurate and timely than the crap app from the market however with that accuracy comes reduced battery life depending on ur update frequency. i had mine set to the 8 hr interval which u would think wouldn't drain battery but my battery was full when i left the house at 10am and dead by 3ish at work with no charger. I work in a grocery store so there really isn't a place where i would feel safe leaving my phone to charge. So basically play around with it but don't be surprised if battery life takes a dip.

then it certainly wasn't the facebook updates that were causing your battery to drain. It wouldn't even have updated in the 5 hours your phone lasted.

Also, 5 hours of battery life to me means you have a different problem, with a bad app not closing, or a very bad battery. There's no reason you can't get a full day out of a charge if you're using it moderately.

Upvote 0
yeah but when u check ur running apps as u obviously notice ur battery is draining and nothing other than the usual system apps are running( i.e. no downloaded market apps running )what else is there to suspect? Location, gps, and network location r all off. Email is once every 24 hrs. weather is manual. not much left that could possibly kill a 1500mAh battery in 5 hours.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones