• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Merit] [ROM] CyanogenMod 7 lookalike w/Go Launcher EX, preloaded apps [in progress]

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
it ain't finished yet but I managed to tack on most of the CM elements via apps stored in a dock, installed Go Launcher (what can I say I like the included features) and edited some of the files in /system (some accident caused the phantom reboot to disappear for keeps, but I can't recreate it) and removed the sync-killing 'low disk space' icon. this thread will be the current progress and any suggestions offered before final release. as of yet I have not gotten Kernel 1.0 or any way to get past 600MHz in there because this may cause the self-rebooting to resurface or break other features (GPS didn't work at all in SpeedFreak) so for now a list of features:

1. Go Launcher EX installed, no widgets, Go Locker installed. let me know if you want widgets of any kind, I will include Go Power Master because that is why my battery lasts so long lately, without it the 6 hour hot battery life is all I get

2. ROM Toolbox Pro (included and installed)

3. SQLite Editor

4. Boot animation is CyanogenMod 7 (removed tracfone startup chime too)

5. Low disk space icon and lost sync removed. now you can sync emails, contacts, texts, etc even if only 10MB or less is remaining.

6. Phone Info is in the dock, click it, select 'GSM Only' in the list to force 2G only mode. no dialer needed. this saves a little battery power when you're in a fringe 3G coverage area. go in and out of airplane mode in settings to restore 3G data

7. Status bar hidden in home screen and primary modes, is visible in-app, can be changed in Go Launcher prefs

8. Dolphin Browser included, currently showing 68MB free on internal.

9. VM Heap Size adjusted to 16MB. built-in task manager (Android's default memory manager) has been set to 'strict' to allow less to run at once, saving RAM

let me know anything you would like included, that I can do (apps, etc what you want in or out) and later I will get screenshots

First screencap, and how do I post lockscreen and other screen shots? the apps I use won't let me do anything other than home screen only?

2012-11-22_17_13_57.jpg

Reactions: zajchik
ok i can edit that. i also need to do more work it's been awhile since i messed with it. busy at work and other things more important right now. i have added kernel 1.0 and my hack that fixed random restarts seems to be holding. now it has overclocking. i'll see if i can get some new screenshots.

problem with lite is that the interface tweaks don't work. that's a part of CyanogenMod that i'd hate to leave out. the interface tweaks only work in the Pro version

Upvote 0
One app that uses it for speedometer data never worked. The icon for GPS would just flash indefinitely and the phone got very hot. Apps which used location (weather channel and go weather ex) failed too, had to try entering the location in manually. Tried installing Google maps to have the same problem. Went to stock everything worked again.

Upvote 0
The real cm may never exist. I am unsure why the optimus V, equally an entry level just like the Merit got such focus from the cyanogen team. It had a CM build two weeks or so into its release. And all the "working" builds are so darn classified and kept secret. What good is "open source" and "free software" if no one can share and let the community help test the thing?

I think the lack of popularity with the Merit is in part due to its tracfone underpinnings rather than it being cheap. Just why does everyone hate tracfone anyway? They have been a decent prepaid carrier IMO

Upvote 0
Keep up the good work.
Will be interesting to see where you're going.

And, yeah, CM on this is looking almost dim (but there are a few glimmers here and there in other areas for CM working on this phone).

Just watch distributing any paid apps. Google gets a little iffy about including their apps in the CM versions, but since this is based on the stock rom, I think Google stuff is fine.

If you have any questions about anything, don't be afraid to ask. This IS a community, after all. Lots of people, lots of ideas. And lots of information and ideas in other places, too.

Look, learn, read, ask. And then teach. It is a very rewarding feeling. Don't be afraid to do what you want to. You never know where it will lead.

As I said, it will be interesting to see where you're going.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones