• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Merit] ZTE Merit Z990G--hard reset / restore code

stayboogy

Android Expert
Jun 15, 2012
warning: i have not tried this myself personally but

i just got the number to hard reset / stock recover the zte merit z990g (straight talk) phone from their technical support

i was given this to try to fix my wifi issue, but i'm weary of doing it because i'm not sure what all it will change and i don't want to lose my root

i'm not sure if this does the same thing as booting into recovery mode or not. it may be something else entirely. again i'm not sure.

when i asked about a t-flash for this phone they said that there wasn't one--so this may take the place of that

but those of you who would like to try it, or those of you who have not been able to properly root your phone and would like to hard reset it so as to possibly be able to have a fresh start at rooting, here you go

*983*987# and i'm pretty sure you have to hit "send"

I have the net 10 version of the zte Z990G and it was bricked I have no pc no recovery! (I think i accidentally deleted the stock recovery messing with some core settings with some type of system modifying app somehow and it was rooted but cant get it to boot back into stock recovery) well anyway I was messing with all the button configurations possable and got it to boot into the dialing pad no idea how but I ran into this code on this forum *983*987# and I didnt have to hit the call button! But it brought me straight to the data factory reset menu in the settings so I could erase all the user data and factory reset. Then I managed to get to the home screen by pressing the back button and come to find out there are no apps or widgets on my home screen and I was able to pull down my notification bar just to find more of nothing but a no service message so I flicked it back up and a message on my home screen displayed no system apps no recent user apps installed! So im guessing my stock recovery is gone along with all my system apps. What a mess this will be to fix lol! I dono where to start as I have no pc! If anyone has a stock backup I could find a way to flash if I still have any sort of root permissions left otherwise im just gonna try to install some basic system settings and see where I can get from there im hoping to be able to install these apps thru Bluetooth since it is active and still working! Please if anyone has a stock backup of the ZTE -Z990G I would verry greatly appreciate it if you could send it over my way at Coopy99.gc@gmail.com please and thank you!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones