• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root metro customers

So if you "buy" the phone for $0 and pay for one month, you get the phone? Or there's a minimum number of months you have to commit to that they're not telling you about? (I can't ask in a store, they don't have any within many miles of me, although they claim to have coverage here.) I don't think they're giving phones away for $40.

The mail-in rebate is what it comes down to. You pay the $50 up front, but only new accounts qualify for the $50 rebate. So essentially, for current Metro customers, you get a somewhat better than the L9 phone for $50.

Upvote 0
The free phone is most likely for new customers, but it's a step.up from the L9.

In your opinion, how much better of a phone is this compared to the unfortunate demise of our L9's and their locked bootloader issues that we have? Do you think this new model will have an unlocked BL?

And also, are you switching to this upgrade?

Here's a FAQ on the link that you've posted:

Phone Instant Rebate Offers

Limited time offer. Requires new line activation or a phone upgrade. Between April 10, 2014 and
July 8, 2014 at participating MetroPCS stores
purchase an Alcatel 768 phone and receive an instant
$20 rebate off of regular purchase price, purchase a ZTE Aspect phone and receive an instant $20
rebate off of regular purchase price, purchase a Samsung Freeform M phone and receive an instant
$20 rebate off of regular purchase price, purchase a Huawei Vitria phone and receive an instant $30
rebate off of regular purchase price, purchase an Alcatel One Touch Evolve phone and receive an
instant $40 rebate off of regular purchase price, purchase an Alcatel One Touch Fierce phone and
receive an instant $50 rebate off of regular purchase price, purchase an LG Optimus F3 phone and
receive an instant $50 rebate off of regular purchase price, purchase a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone and
receive an instant $50 rebate off of regular purchase price, purchase a Huawei Valiant phone and
receive an instant $60 rebate off of regular purchase price, purchase a Samsung Galaxy Exhibit
phone and receive an instant $80 rebate off of regular purchase price, purchase a Kyocera Hydro
XTRM phone and receive an instant $90 rebate off of regular purchase price, purchase an LG
Optimus L70 phone and receive an instant $100 rebate off of regular purchase price,
or purchase an
LG Optimus F6 phone and receive an instant $100 rebate off of regular purchase price

Upvote 0
I personally am on a G2 now, impatiently awaiting the G3. In my opinion unless you have to have kitkat and want it cheap stay away. My only point of posting this thread was for those that really wanted kitkat. The metro model of the L70 is unrootable atm much less unlocking the bootloader. It has no lte only 4g and extremely low storage. I hear the f6 is a fairly decent choice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones