• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] ERROR: "Boot Certification Verify"

I must admit, Master .... as a lifelong Denver Broncos fan, I'm deeply skeptical of, and by rule resist anything with the word "Chief" in it. But tonight you've proven all that wrong.

And thanks for the tip on ROM configuration. I think I'll wait a day or two before going there.

Speaking of custom ROMs, user Leslie Ann created "Harmonia" for the EVO 3D, I had it and loved it for 2-plus years. Is there anything similar for MS500?

7gg6.jpg

Harmonia
I'm a Buccaneers fan myself which basically means I'm used to being disappointed. I never had an evo 3d myself so idk about that. I used to have an evo 4g but I shattered the screen before I ever knew about rooting and got a moto photon 4g which was a solid phone but unfortunately I took the ota that made the bootloader permanently locked and prevented the installation of ROMs that weren't stock based. Now I never accept an ota update until I know that it won't make my phone unrootable or permanantly lock the bootloader. Also I will never buy another phone or tablet made by Motorola.

Upvote 0
If you want a stable stock based rom for the f6 I'd suggest GameTheory's Xperion Rom. I don't think there will be anything like the rom you had on your evo 3d because it looks like that phone was running gingerbread. The kitkat 4.4.2 ROMs for the f6 are pretty stable too but some F6 have cameras that don't play well with kitkat. A quick easy way to tell if your f6 will have camera problems on kitkat is to remove the battery and look at the sticker in the back of the phone. If it says v10i your camera will work. If it says v12b you will have camera issues with kitkat ROMs.

Reactions: viperdink
Upvote 0
I have LG Optimus F6 with original factory ROM with android 4.1.2 and firmware 12b. I rooted it with towelroot and use F6Utility2 to install CWM. Everything is good. From F6Utility2, I boot into recovery and did a backup to external SD. Then I did a restore from that backup. After that when I boot the phone, I am stuck at the "boot certificate verify" error:

--------------------------------------------
Secure booting Error!
Cause: boot certificate verify
--------------------------------------------

I can still get into recovery by power+volume down, confirm factory reset twice.
How can I get my phone work again?

I really appreciate your help.

Upvote 0
@starbase
It looks like your restored stock boot image doesn't have the right checksum. If you created your backup from a functional, bootable stock firmware and you didn't do anything extraordinary when restoring the backup, then my guess is your boot image is corrupt. If the boot image on the phone is bad, try restoring the boot partition again. If that doesn't work, it's possible your backup is bad. Does the boot image pass the md5 validation? It's possible your SD card has or had an error. Assuming your backup boot image is bad, to fix it you need to find a good copy. Ideally you want the exact same boot image to match the version of your firmware. In a pinch, you can try one that's compatible with your firmware version. The other option is to go through the whole KDZ unbricking procedure to restore the boot image back to the official stock one. Sorry if all this sounds too technical.

By the way, a boot image consists of a kernel plus a ramdisk, which contains files necessary for the kernel to boot the system files.

Reactions: Masterchief87
Upvote 0
@starbase
Sorry I didn't suggest any actual solution earlier. I don't know if freedom kernel is compatible. If it is, you can try it first like Masterchief87 suggests. If you're not intimidated by the KDZ procedure, doing it should return you back to stock.

If you simply want a stock boot image, you can search the forum to see if someone has posted a backup of the stock rom matching your version. If you can find it, extract the boot image and replace yours with it. Then do an advanced boot only restore. What model and firmware version were you using? If you were using MS500 and 12b, I might have a copy. Check the nandroid.md5 file in your CWM backup folder. The first line should be the md5 checksum of boot.img. If that string is "9a81940a2dbc7cc8c4b3450f621cc0f9", then my copy might work for you.

If you simply want to fix the problem without messing around, the straightforward suggestion is usually the KDZ unbricking method. More people can help you with that. Good luck.

Upvote 0
I did create the backup from a functional, bootable stock firmware and didn't do anything extraordinary when restoring the backup. During restore process, I saw everything is successful. Maybe I should try KDZ unbrick according to this link:
http://androidcreations.weebly.com/unbrick-unroot-factory-restore-ms500.html

Should I try the freedom kernel first or try the KDZ first?
Freedom kernel is compatible with both Xperion ROM and stock ROM.
It is up to you whether you want to try flashing it first or just do the full kdz unbrick which will remove root and cwm. If you do choose to just flash freedom kernel and decide you want the stock kernel for any reason I can make a flashable zip to restore the stock boot image if you want. Its up to you. Either way I reccomend that once you get everything working you use twrp instead of cwm. Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.

Upvote 0
good news: Just before I try to flash Freedom kernel, I found another backup of the phone which was made a month later than the one I used to restore. The phone is MS500 and 12b, in the one I used to restore, the md5 checksum of boot.img is different from WarrantyVoider's post, but in the backup I just found, the md5 checksum of boot.img matches WarrantyVoider's post. So I went into CWM and did the restore using the newly found backup. After that, it works! Thank you guys so much!

Now the phone is working. But after going through all this, the next step I will do is to switch to twrp as recommended by you guys. Should I use the apk or f6_twrpa.zip?

After switching to twrp, I will flash Xperion ROM and Freedom kernel.

by the way, @GameTherory, the F6Utilities I used does have SDHack option, but I did not do it.

Really appreciate all your help! Thanks.

Upvote 0
good news: Just before I try to flash Freedom kernel, I found another backup of the phone which was made a month later than the one I used to restore. The phone is MS500 and 12b, in the one I used to restore, the md5 checksum of boot.img is different from WarrantyVoider's post, but in the backup I just found, the md5 checksum of boot.img matches WarrantyVoider's post. So I went into CWM and did the restore using the newly found backup. After that, it works! Thank you guys so much!

Now the phone is working. But after going through all this, the next step I will do is to switch to twrp as recommended by you guys. Should I use the apk or f6_twrpa.zip?

After switching to twrp, I will flash Xperion ROM and Freedom kernel.

by the way, @GameTherory, the F6Utilities I used does have SDHack option, but I did not do it.

Really appreciate all your help! Thanks.
The SD hack option is a very dirty hack and was never finished properly. There are other SD hacks that work better now. As for twrp you can use either the zip or that apk but I don't think there has been a link for the zip since they changed the forums. This is because the first 3 or 4 posts of the thread got deleted somehow so now the only link, as far as I know is for the apk version.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones