• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

micro sd file help

dmcd7782

Dec 4, 2011
Hello, this is my first post Hi everyone!! I've been browsing this forum here and there reading cool questions for awhile know. Know its my turn to ask the question. which I wish i already knew the answer to.

My apology if this has been answered before and feel free to move this to the right place.

I just got a new micro sd card woohoo i know so here's what i did

1. Took all the info and moved it onto my computer
2. took the files from the computer and moved them onto the sd micro card

Know it says certain files can't be moved because, its write protected. I had pictures,videos,playlists etc that won't move over does anyone know what i have to do? I've tried everything including moving the files back onto my old card which i'm having the same problem about certain files being write protected (audios,playlist,apps,thinkfree etc.)

One more note when i download things to my new card it says space is limited but, when i check the settings i have plenty of space (25gb out of 32 left)
Any help would greatly be appreciated

Hello and welcome to Android Forums! :)

How did you copy the files? If you used the little adapter that comes with many SD cards, there is a tiny switch on the side of those that make them write protected.

As for the free space, make sure if you are copying by mounting the phone that you are copying to the external SD card and not the internal sd partition.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the replies

I did buy it off ebay in the phone settings its saying i have 25gb left not sure if its lying? Also everything i download seems to be saving directly on the phone and not the sd card? anyone know how to set up to save on the card only?

Yes, i did use the adapter and tried the switch both ways I'm just having trouble taking the files off the computer on the the card because, some files will transfer and some won't (write disk protection) can't move my playlist over,thinkfree etc. things like that

how do i mount the phone so i'm copying to the external sd card?

again thank you

Upvote 0
Thanks lunatic!

I would start by enabling USB debug. See if your SD card will mount on your computer while the SD card is still in the phone and the phone is on. You may have to unmount the SD card from your phone in the phone settings before you can mount on your PC.

I have a 32Gb SD card that just wont mount on my PC from inside the phone. I have to remove the card from my phone and use an adaptor. If this is how you are doing it, move the adaptor slider all the way up to unlock the card for writing. (Towards the MSD card! Not towards the gold pins on the adaptor!)

Also, being that it is a brand new SD card, did you format it before you tried putting data on it? The allocation size may not let it accept more than 4Gb of data at a time unless you let Windows format the card with "default allocation size". I've ran into this with cards larger than 4Gb.

Hope this helps, and welcome to Android Forums!

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones