• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MicroSD card size

Regarding this phone I don't see a FAQ for this so forgive me if I overlooked.
Exactly what size SD card does this phone support? I'm reading conflicting info out on the Net.
Samsung's entry says up to 64GB whereas T-Mobile's site says 32GB.
Checking specs here and there gives the same info. Given the phones rather smallish internal memory I try to put as much as possible on the SD card (32GB) and do regular housekeeping but even then I feel I might need more space.

I treat this phone less as a phone and more as just another computer for me to constantly tweak, experiment with, and eventually break that I make regular backups (both nandroid and app-based) that take up quite a bit of space. Not to mention all the music and media files.

So what really is the limit, 32GB or 64GB? I'd like to know before I spend any money.
Thanks,
Marc

Regarding this phone I don't see a FAQ for this so forgive me if I overlooked.
Exactly what size SD card does this phone support? I'm reading conflicting info out on the Net.
Samsung's entry says up to 64GB whereas T-Mobile's site says 32GB.
Checking specs here and there gives the same info. Given the phones rather smallish internal memory I try to put as much as possible on the SD card (32GB) and do regular housekeeping but even then I feel I might need more space.

I treat this phone less as a phone and more as just another computer for me to constantly tweak, experiment with, and eventually break that I make regular backups (both nandroid and app-based) that take up quite a bit of space. Not to mention all the music and media files.

So what really is the limit, 32GB or 64GB? I'd like to know before I spend any money.
Thanks,
Marc

Supports up 64GB. Look here under specs:Samsung Galaxy Light ™ (T-Mobile)

Comfirmation. I used my 64GM sdcard from my SGS4 and the T399 read it fine.

Upvote 0
Even if your phone only supports 32 cant you still use a 64gb card if thats all you have laying around. It will just see the first 32gb. Or partition the card into 2 so it detects 32gb even if its only seeing the first 32gb. Cuz at least you dont have to get a new card. Or will 64 just not work and you have to get 32 gb.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about that. However, I finally got the 64GB and it works fine.

Experiment time. Was down to about 1.5GB free on the internal space. I could move as many apps as possible using Apps2SD method or even better Android Tuner's link to SD feature.
I can and do use the phone hooked up to the PC as a USB mass storage device (via an app) but as you may know the first SD partition gets unmounted in android. Any running apps that may be on the SD will of course be killed.

Decided to try Link2SD. I put a 10GB ext4 partition. Moved whatever apps back to internal memory. Then pretty much let the app move/link as much as it can (Xposed Framework and mods had to be unlinked/moved back) to the new partition.
I now have about 4GB free internal (out of 5) and everything has been running smoothly.
No issues yet with the apps I use regularly. Still have to test a few utils that have Xposed hooks/features like Greenify or SideControl, etc.

Don't think I didn't do a bunch of backups first. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones