• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Microsoft Launcher?

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    So has anyone here tried it? How does it compare to the stock TW interface?

If you aren't familiar with it, it's the updated version of the Arrow launcher - it gives you immediate access to the stuff you need most, when you need it. You can also go from phone to PC and the computer will pick right up where you left off. Or vice versa.

It's getting good reviews, but I wanted to check with the real experts... my peeps here at Android Forums.

If you have used it recently, what is your experience with it?

Tried it on an S7 Edge the other day. Nice and smooth and the panel on the left with the calendar, tasks, etc is great. I'm just too married to my setup with the gestures on Nova, and the layout too since I got a 7 icon dock with secondary app launching (essentially a 14 app dock) and Microsoft only uses 5x4 grids and a 5x2 dock.

It's very similar to stock if that's what you're comparing to. You just get an additional set of icons when you swipe up on the dock and a set of shortcuts that I find redundant.

Upvote 0
    Okay, folks, I've found a critical error in the Microsoft Launcher. Unless someone here knows of a fix, I'll notify Microsoft and uninstall it.

When I open the stock Samsung calendar app, I want to see the weather for the next few days. It has that capability: but when I go to the calendar settings and select '7-day weather forecast', I keep getting prompted to make sure that the 'Samsung Weather Widget' is on the home screen.

I didn't see that widget available on my phone. It's not in the Play Store, it's not in Galaxy Apps. It was just... nowhere.

It took two calls to Samsung and the tech support gal doing a remote access to my phone to figure out that Microsoft Launcher is the culprit. I cleared the Home Screen default, selected TouchWiz, and went back to the widget options. Right there it was! Weather.

Microsoft apparently can see every other widget available, except the one I need! I put that widget on the home screen, opened calendar... and within seconds the next 7 days had the weather forecast on them.

If anyone here knows if there's a special setting to get this widget to work (or even show up) with the Microsoft Launcher, please let me know fast!

Thank you!

Reactions: marctronixx
    Upvote 0
    Tried it on an S7 Edge the other day. Nice and smooth and the panel on the left with the calendar, tasks, etc is great. I'm just too married to my setup with the gestures on Nova, and the layout too since I got a 7 icon dock with secondary app launching (essentially a 14 app dock) and Microsoft only uses 5x4 grids and a 5x2 dock.

It's very similar to stock if that's what you're comparing to. You just get an additional set of icons when you swipe up on the dock and a set of shortcuts that I find redundant.

Nova ♡

Nova ♡

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180101-222959.jpg
      Screenshot_20180101-222959.jpg
      231.7 KB · Views: 653
    Reactions: bcrichster
    Upvote 0
    If your PC is connected with your device, there is an icon in the Edge Browser (which is phenomenal, BTW) that allows you to send the page to your phone. BOOM - it's on your phone. Conversely, if I'm using Edge Browser on my phone there's an icon to send the page to the PC. BOOM - it's on the PC.

Reactions: lunatic59
    Upvote 0
    Okay, folks, I've found a critical error in the Microsoft Launcher. Unless someone here knows of a fix, I'll notify Microsoft and uninstall it.

When I open the stock Samsung calendar app, I want to see the weather for the next few days. It has that capability: but when I go to the calendar settings and select '7-day weather forecast', I keep getting prompted to make sure that the 'Samsung Weather Widget' is on the home screen.

I didn't see that widget available on my phone. It's not in the Play Store, it's not in Galaxy Apps. It was just... nowhere.

It took two calls to Samsung and the tech support gal doing a remote access to my phone to figure out that Microsoft Launcher is the culprit. I cleared the Home Screen default, selected TouchWiz, and went back to the widget options. Right there it was! Weather.

Microsoft apparently can see every other widget available, except the one I need! I put that widget on the home screen, opened calendar... and within seconds the next 7 days had the weather forecast on them.

If anyone here knows if there's a special setting to get this widget to work (or even show up) with the Microsoft Launcher, please let me know fast!

Thank you!

Chief,

Just read this and took a look. I have my weather look ahead on my calendar. Didn't change any thing. Shows up like it always has.

BigRedGonzo

... and now I realize that Chief's original post was November of last year. Sometime I amaze me!!

BigRedGonzo

Reactions: The_Chief
    Upvote 0
    And... I'm a week late seeing YOUR response, so don't feel bad

:p

My issue with calendar was that it was messing up the stock calendar's ability to display the weather. I can't say that I miss it, because I have Bing as my search engine; Cortana's installed; and Edge Browser works great.

That is what I'm saying, I am using the stock calendar and have the 7 day weather look ahead turned on and I get the weather on each day's calendar slot. I am using Microsoft Launcher and like it as good, if not better, than Samsung's Native launcher. I am using Bing, but think I prefer Google and I think the Edge Browser is great. Still working on Bixby and Google voice, so no Cortana love on my phone yet. Anyway, my weather works fine in the calendar.

BigRegGonzo

Upvote 0
    I just bought a new HP Windows laptop, which suggested the Microsoft Launcher to sync between the laptop and my Galaxy Note 8. I decided to give it a try not knowing I would totally lose the set up I had with my apps when I was using the Samsung launcher. Then I decided to use Cortana but I noticed I have to push the button on the phone to use her. Should I be able to just give verbal commands to her? I did like being able to just say 'OK Google' without touching my phone and being able to give commands. Overall, I still have not used the Microsoft launcher long enough to be able to give judgment. I have to sit down with my laptop and really play around with it and my phone. I'm anxious to read what other people think

Upvote 0
    I just bought a new HP Windows laptop, which suggested the Microsoft Launcher to sync between the laptop and my Galaxy Note 8. I decided to give it a try not knowing I would totally lose the set up I had with my apps when I was using the Samsung launcher. Then I decided to use Cortana but I noticed I have to push the button on the phone to use her. Should I be able to just give verbal commands to her? I did like being able to just say 'OK Google' without touching my phone and being able to give commands. Overall, I still have not used the Microsoft launcher long enough to be able to give judgment. I have to sit down with my laptop and really play around with it and my phone. I'm anxious to read what other people think

Hi, @dkanetsky and welcome to Android Forums!

Microsoft would, of course, recommend Microsoft Launcher... but it is not necessary. Nor is Cortana. I have Cortana on my Note8, but I don't think I ever use it. The only Microsoft apps I use are my Office apps and Edge Browser. "Okay Google" still works with the Note8, as does "Hi Bixby". Don't worry about changing from the stock launcher: you don't have to. Edge syncs with my PC just fine without any other Microsoft infrastructure.

@psionandy I think she (assumption) was referring to rebuilding her homescreens with a new launcher. It's regrettable that launchers can't import homescreen layouts from other launchers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones