• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MidnightRom: GS2 1.03 (3/19/2013)

xthedakmanx

Android Expert
Sep 10, 2011
goo.im
FINALLY after months of waiting, I present...MidnightRom GS2!

What is it you ask? It's a supercharged, super optimized FL26 stock ROM, with better memory management, more internal memory, and lots lots more!

MidnightRom: GS2 1.03 <---- Download here!
Mirror

Playstation Mobile <-- Extra

The included goomanager app automatically notifies you when there is a new ROM update! It uses virtually no memory at all, and updates can be downloaded directly from within the app!

First boot will take a few minutes

If you have any problems, questions, suggestions, etc, do not be afraid to ask!! =]

Features List:
-Stock FL26 ROM (ICS)
-Integrated Agats recovery updater
-Fully deodex/zipaligned
-SuperSU
-Busybox
-All files are super optimized for better memory management and speed
-init.d support
-Maximum battery life
-Faster SD Card reads
-Super increased performance
-GPS optimizations
-Removed lots of crap apps
-Adblocking enabled by default
-Playstation mobile enabled
-Wifi tethering
-4G tweaks
-Increased EXT4 Speed
-Misc. Build.prop tweaks
-Update application (Goomanager notifies of ROM updates)

Titanium Backup, AdAway, TriangleAway, and Virgin Mobile Minutes Checker have all been preinstalled for convenience, and can easily be uninstalled if so wanted

Thank you everyone who has donated It really helps!

Todo:
-Advanced boot menu
-Further improvements
-Overclocking
-You tell me!

Installation instructions:

I'm writing this from a "I just got my phone" standpoint. Everything in this tutorial is NEEDED. I've made it as easy as possible for everyone to flash this, so please read carefully! ^_^

Getting everything ready:
-Update phone to latest version (FL26). Do this in stock android.

(If you've already flashed another rom, you must reflash your phone. Download http://rwilco12.androidfilehost.com/LeakSite/?dir=Leaks/Samsung Epic 4G Touch/FJ12-Virgin/ROM_NoData , go into download mode (power+volume down) and run the program. Then update your phone normally through android)

-Download the following all-in-one package onto your computer and extract it
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390350787562962976
-Install the samsung drivers
-Turn off your phone
-Hold power+volume down to get into download mode and hit continue
-Plug in your phone to your computer
-Open up the ODIN folder and run Odin3
-In the program, click the PIT button and use the file "Epic 4g Touch Pit.pit"
-Click PDA and use the file "SXTP_Agat_VMUBFL26-v0.2.0.tar"
-Click start

Your phone will be flashed with the latest FL26 kernel for the phone with and AGATS recovery. It will then reboot back into the system.

How to flash:
-Turn off the phone again
-Hold power+volume up until the Samsung Galaxy SII logo pops up
-Go into the mounts and storage menu and format the following: Cache, System, Data.
(Be careful not to format EMMC as will erase your internal memory card!)
-Go back and select install zip from SD card
-Choose zip from either internal or external depending on where you put the rom.zip file
-Flash it
-After it's done just reboot into system and enjoy!

Upvote 0
Changelog:

3/19/2013
-Fixed wifi tether app
-Fixed init.d support
-Better gps lock
-Wifi waiting time changed
-Memory tweaks
-Deeper sleep when the screen is off
-fFxed sqlite3 support
-3G speed tweaks
-Touch enhancements

3/14/2013 1.02
-Fixed com.sec.android.app.myfiles not found issue
-Fixed TwWallpaperChooser has stopped issue
-Disabled sd card read ahead...for now. It seems to cause some issues considering the phone thinks the internal is an sd card
-Changed GPU rendering. Battery life SHOULD be even better now!
-Some install script changes

3/9/2013 1.01
-Reverted to default touchwiz launcher
-Fixed crashes (phone, google services, etc)
-Further optimizations

3/8/2013 1.00
-First release

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Rom will be up tomorrow. Had some issues I needed to fix with it >.< Sorry!

Oh! And some observations...

1. LOVING the 16GB internal memory.
2. GPU works a LOT better then the Evo V 4G
3. The stock android software SUUUCKKKED lol. It was slow compared to what I did to it ^_^
4. I'm definitely falling in love with this phone :D

Upvote 0
Looks very enticing. I've been using CM 10.1 which is very nice but I've been wanting to go back and take another look at the stock ROM, and this is even better. Any plans to do a JB version?

I have been using the leaked JB stock ROM that is linked on the first page here for a couple of weeks now and it is awesome. Fast, smooth, and haven't had a single bug to report. Couldn't do without Google Now after using it for a while. You may want to try that one if you want JB (and you like the stock interface).

Upvote 0
Link is up! Enjoy everyone!

Because this is the first release, there may be bugs. I haven't found any, but it's still possible.
If you find ANYTHING wrong whatsoever, want something added/changed/whatever, please post about it! I want to make this the best stock VM ROM there is! (Even though I think I've already done that ;P)

Upvote 0
I don't want to be a smuck but to make it the best you mite want to use the s3 launcher from epic 4g touch link!
Maaaaybe ^_^

I flashed in this rom and so far, it's working great.

There were 2 instances where the app I was working on would crash (randomly and unexpectedly) and it caused another unrelated app to crash as well, but once I closed the app, it was fine.

Yeah, I noticed that as well, expecially with the phone. Some apps don't like being optimized for some reason. I'm uploading a new version later on to fix this.

It's great having another dev on board. But if you could do this treatment to the fl14 rom I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.
^_^ I'm going to, but I'm waiting for it to be officially released with all the bugs worked out

Upvote 0
When I logged into the site today and I saw this post by you, my heart literally started to race. Been waiting for some good things to come for this phone and look at this, here you are! Love your work and this looks to be another great piece. Thinking about flashing but not too sure I want to yet, I will miss JB, BUT the fact that there is tethering kinda makes me want to switch this very minute. I must say I have started to fall in love with this ROM and I haven't even downloaded the file! Writing this reply is tempting me to download. >_> Sigh, hopefully you can work your magic on a JB ROM for our SGS2. I don't know what else to say other than THANK YOU and Welcome aboard the SGS2 community. =]

Reactions: xthedakmanx
Upvote 0
I use ex Dialer for phone calls and I noticed that it does make the first call successfully, but when I "end call" I get error "unfortunately the process com.android.phone has stopped". Then when making subsequent calls using ex Dialer, the phone doesn't even start dialing. Phone restart fixes the problem.

I then tried the default stock phone app and I get the same error message after the first successful call but I was able to call again using the stock app - but same error after each call.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones