• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Might upgrade, whats next best thing?

BrianJB

Android Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2010
Well, I know that this probably isn't the right section. But I only felt that I should get advice from the very people who walked me through rooting my evo when I first got it.

And now I ask of all of you this;

I am due for an upgrade in March/April, I was looking around on sprint.com, it's either going to be the evo3d or the galaxy nexus (if its out by then), what would be the way to go?

I hate to leave my evo, but I have noticed that not only the physical wear on my phone, but that most of the dev's have moved onto newer devices. I'm sure that we will still have new roms for awhile, but who knows how long.

Well, I know that this probably isn't the right section. But I only felt that I should get advice from the very people who walked me through rooting my evo when I first got it.

I am due for an upgrade in March/April, I was looking around on sprint.com, it's either going to be the evo3d or the galaxy nexus (if its out by then), what would be the way to go?

I hate to leave my evo, but I have noticed that not only the physical wear on my phone, but that most of the dev's have moved onto newer devices. I'm sure that we will still have new roms for awhile, but who knows how long.

Quad-Core phones are supposed to be rolling out by summer, along with Sprints first LTE devices.

If I were you, I'd wait till then.

As for *new* roms, we're starting to see developers that have moved on are continuing to port their new roms back to their old EVO crowd. If this trend keeps up we should see a steady stream of development

Upvote 0
I've looked around for an upgrade for my evo, and thus far have been only slightly impressed by the new offerings. From a hardware standpoint the only thing you *could possibly achieve is upgrade to a 1.5ghz processor from a 1ghz processor, and a better screen. I'd have to agree with rxpert in that there are some serious hardware changes coming down the pipe and I know that I'm socking away every spare $20 bill so that I can UPGRADE when the devices splash.

Reactions: BrianJB
Upvote 0

I believe that development for the Evo 4G will going on for awhile seeing that there are still many people who still have the phone and their 2 year contract isn't up till June.

I went ahead and bought a tablet instead of upgrading my phone. I feel that the Evo is still a great phone and it suits my needs as far as usability and being rooted helps alot;)

We bought the Transformer Prime which recently was updated to ICS, so right now I'm getting a taste of what a quad core tablet can do what ICS feels like. And like Rxpert stated, quad core phones will be in our future.

So, if you don't own a tablet, maybe buying a tablet and keeping the Evo 4G, is an option I would highly consider;)

Upvote 0
I'd agree with everyone here, using your upgrade to buy one of the WiMAX phones sprint has now would really be doing yourself a disservice since Sprint is switching to LTE. Save the upgrade until there are some LTE phones available so you are slightly more future- proof.

Edit:
Just reread and saw you mentioned Galaxy Nexus as an option, which is definitely a good lte choice when they release it... Although man I wish Samsung could get their act together with radios/reception issues. (My girlfriend is on Verizon, and we got her a RAZR just because the GNex just doesn't work well as a phone, and can't get a GPS lock, while moto has the radio/reception thing done so well). I really hope the next Nexus is made by HTC or Moto...

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones