• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Miscellaneous files?

On my S5, I had several gigs of miscellaneous files, and it turned out that this was data from the Google Play Movers & TV app and data from the Comixology Comics app. In both cases, looking at the application through the application manager said the data for both was on the SD card (and the settings inside Play Movies and TV said to use the SD card for storage) . However my SD card used space was significantly less than what either app said it was using. When I cleared the data for the two apps, that dropped my Miscellaneous space used from 5gigs down to 434mb. (without changing my SD cards used space at all)

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I was looking at how much space I have left on my s4 (16gb on Verizon), and saw that 6.35gb of space is being taken up my miscellaneous files. When I click on it, I have the option of deleting some of the files. I'm not sure what they are though. Some files are titled like an app (like Zedge or handcent) and others are things I don't know like AppGame or aquery. Can someone please explain to me what they are, and if they're safe to delete? Thanks.

Ok so you know how it wont let you delete anything out of system memory. So I'm pretty sure if deleting miscellaneous files was not safe they wouldn't give you the option to.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I was looking at how much space I have left on my s4 (16gb on Verizon), and saw that 6.35gb of space is being taken up my miscellaneous files. When I click on it, I have the option of deleting some of the files. I'm not sure what they are though. Some files are titled like an app (like Zedge or handcent) and others are things I don't know like AppGame or aquery. Can someone please explain to me what they are, and if they're safe to delete? Thanks.
Ok i was having the same issue and was baffled as to the why... i was getting ready to reset my phone then i figured out the solution...
I used clean masters tools space cleaner... the issue as to why i cant delete or have issues freeing up the miscellaneous files is cause they are hidden data files that have been cached for your application for fast recovery... say u have a game that shows animations such as ashphalt 8 just the rotation of a car is cached animation, just 10 of them is like 500mb... so the solution...
Download clean master and go to tools then space cleaner... it'll give u a list of apps with huge (in my case 5gb) app data cached.. u can delete the data and keep the program.. also free up much needed space.. good luck:)

Upvote 0
Ok I have a Samsung S5 and was trying to do a software update , through AT&T and it kept saying not enough space, what ? The phone is only 3 weeks old .I started looking there was 4.4 gigs in my misc. files that I could not see. I ones I could see only added up too like 9 megs ,I could not get into it after trying 100 different things and apps. I came across an app that really works and removed ALL the stuff in the misc. file , it was in a folder named obb I got this app form the play store and it works awesome its called DiskUsage works great by Ivan Volosyuk , I hope this helps someone, God Bless :)

Reactions: Kristjananderson
Upvote 0
Thanks for those sites. I have an SD card and have already tried all the solutions that they offer. Have gone through files and app manager. I regularly clear cache. I have no music and all mu photos are on the SD card. I only have apps i use regularly. Have decluttered as much as i can, but still have over 9Gb of misc ciles which is appatently storing "no items". Not sure where else to look at this point.

This is not an issue of SD memory or internal memory! You can copy your entire photo library from internal memory to your SD card, and only move a few hundred megabytes of data, barely 1 gig, and nowhere near 6.3oGb. If you plug your phone into your PC so you can look at the files with Windows Explorer, you will see the internal memory as having something less than 10G capacity, when it is delivered with 16G of storage. The size of Misc. Files and the missing capacity of the internal storage is amazingly similar. Memory is being stolen, it is not being used.

I wanted to install a new app to my phone a couple of days ago and was confronted with an error message that I don't have enough space available. I had to clear the cache to recover some space, about 3G, so that I could install the app. I have not run into the wall, yet, that happens when you clear cache. I also deleted my Message History, big mistake. Not enough was gained, and lots was lost.

Bottom line is that the capacity of the internal memory should be 16G, but is reported as only 9.5G, the missing capacity is the same size as the mysterious, Misc. Files.

Upvote 0
I have two S4s, both with the same thing going on.

One phone reports 16G of capacity, 3G for Applications (I assume to be the OS plus installed apps), 2G for photos, 30M for downloads and cached data, 4.5G free space, and 6.25G of Misc. Files. Windows explorer reports the capacity at about 10G, or a capacity that is short by the amount of the Misc. Files.

The other phone reports the same 16G capacity, with about 5G for Applications, Pictures & Videos, Cached Data, Downloads, and Audio all taking (combined) less than a gig, Available Space is 3.6G, and Misc. Files is 6.27G. Windows Explorer reports the capacity as 9.7G, or short by the same amount as the Misc. files.

Even if the Misc. Files were hidden, the capacity should not be taken away from the amount available. Hidden files should show in the calculations for total capacity. My PC does not deduct the capacity of hidden system files, it simply does not display them when I look at the file structure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones