• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mobile Hotspot vs. making/receiving calls - mutually exclusive???

Apache

Apr 29, 2010
Sugar Land, TX
So I just got my Droid Razr Maxx to replace an HTC Thunderbolt. Great device, I like it. First time I used Mobile Hotspot on it today -- worked fine, so far, so good.

Then I got a call, took the call... and the mobile hotspot connection died. I got off the call, and the hotspot connection came back.

On my T-bolt I could do calls and be on mobile hotspot at the same time no problem. I would imagine one is supposed to be able to do that with the Razr Maxx too -- ???

Please advise, thanks a lot

So I just got my Droid Razr Maxx to replace an HTC Thunderbolt. Great device, I like it. First time I used Mobile Hotspot on it today -- worked fine, so far, so good.

Then I got a call, took the call... and the mobile hotspot connection died. I got off the call, and the hotspot connection came back.

On my T-bolt I could do calls and be on mobile hotspot at the same time no problem. I would imagine one is supposed to be able to do that with the Razr Maxx too -- ???

Please advise, thanks a lot
You can only do that on the Maxx when you're on 4g. You can't use data and voice simultaneously while on 3g, unlike your Thunderbolt.

Upvote 0
VERY FEW phones will do SVDO (simultaneous voice and data) on 3G...there many not be ANY new phones that do.

Best check into it before you jump too fast.

I believe the Rezound does SVDO.

What everyone has said so far is completely correct. Remember all of those commercials about the iPhone only being able to do simultaneous voice and data over 3G on AT&T and not on Verizon? That's because until the Thunderbolt, no CDMA device supported it. And even with the Thunderbolt, it unofficially supports it. You won't see that used as a selling point on any device because it's not a completely mature, ready for prime time technology. So far, HTC is the only company incorporating it on Verizon.

You can do simultaneous voice and data on any LTE phone as long as you have a LTE signal, but the Thunderbolt and Rezound are the only devices on Verizon that allow it on 3G as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones