• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MOD] LOTS of Build.prop edits!

hmm... everything should be showing up now. Try clearing your market cache and data, reboot the phone, then do *#*#CHECKIN#*#* from the dialer. Then check the market again.

Also I would like to add, that battery is AMAZING for me now. Anyone else?

I tried that and my market still doesn't work, I think.

I can see the apps, but I think stuff is still missing. For example, when I search for USBank, I only see 3 things. In the past I was able to get results of up to 10.

I followed your directions and still same thing

Upvote 0
...because 32m is a magic number? Because the phone doesn't handle larger allocations well? Why would very few apps being open that simply have a higher cap on used memory cause problems? Logically, since not all of the memory is allocated immediately, whether the cap is 32mb of 60mb, the system will show the same amount of memory usage while those apps are not using higher than the 32mb cap. Shouldn't this actually be pretty variable depending on usage in terms of what will actually provide the best performance? If you run many long-lived apps, you will probably see worse performance increasing it than if you run a few memory intensive apps.

Not trying to be obstinate but I am usually pretty disinclined to accept things at face value without some good reason ;)

My only reason is that in cyanogenmod 6, they included three options for you 28,30 and 32. 30 was by default

Thats my only reasoning, if you want to run it at 40 go ahead

Upvote 0
I tried that and my market still doesn't work, I think.

I can see the apps, but I think stuff is still missing. For example, when I search for USBank, I only see 3 things. In the past I was able to get results of up to 10.

I followed your directions and still same thing

Are you actually pushing a build.prop, or doing it yourself? And which method are you using?

Upvote 0
So, I was curious about the Dalvik heap size mod. My phone is not very modified, it is rooted and I removed most of the crap apps like Blockbuster etc. that came with it.

I set it the heap size, and rebooted the phone. Waited 3 minutes to allow it to come to a stable state, and ran Quadrant 6 times in a row. I did not disable or modify anything to improve my scores, it is just as I carry the phone every day. I had a strong 3G connection during this time so any polling done by widgets or whatever should finish quickly and not affect a lot of the tests. These are not the be-all, end-all of tests, I am just reporting my curiosity in a somewhat controlled way.

Given the couple low values on the first round and the incredible consistency of further tests, I'd say we aren't helping our quadrant scores. From the initial comments in this thread it looks like it just gives a larger memory space for individual apps, so I think I'm going to leave it on 40m for a little while and see if I notice a difference, especially in things like the browser where I frequently open many tabs.

Dalvik Heap size edits are more of a stability thing. and its only a 2m edit. Going higher, probably isn't going to help, and may actually hurt.

Upvote 0
all you guys need for the build.prop is to pull your old one off, mod everything listed here, and put it back on. then the market will work right.

The market will work fine the way it is with these build.props. These mods are included in roms that are put out to thousands of people. People here either arent doing it correctly, or are not rebooting their phone before posting and complaining.

Sorry guys, if you dont like it, dont use it.

I'll say again, over 4000 downloads, and only 6 or 7 people complain. I'd say odds are, those 6 or 7 people... have done something incorrectly.

Everyone else, I'm glad you like it. Thanks for the donations, it means a lot to me right now and I appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for these mods lex. I see in Quadrant system info that the lcd refresh rate is 68Hz. Can we assume this would be the ceiling for the windowsmgr event setting? I've changed that setting to 68 and can't say that I see a difference; will need to switch it back and forth and compare. Anyone else notice smoother app drawer/list scrolling with 68?

Upvote 0
Thanks for these mods lex. I see in Quadrant system info that the lcd refresh rate is 68Hz. Can we assume this would be the ceiling for the windowsmgr event setting? I've changed that setting to 68 and can't say that I see a difference; will need to switch it back and forth and compare. Anyone else notice smoother app drawer/list scrolling with 68?

Man you guys. lol Stop editing stuff that you dont know what it is! At least research it first! :)

Time to add a disclaimer I see.

Anyway, you most likely wont notice an increase taking that value over 60. From the RESEARCH i've done, it seems 60 is the going rate :)

Good luck guys.

Reactions: chrlswltrs
Upvote 0
Let me ask you... When I do full nandroid restore (system, data, etc) is it wiping data and system complete, and then restores? Or just rewrite staff on top of what you have at moment. In other words, is nandroid restore is same as .sbf, root, upgrade to 2.2 and then restore?
In my blackberry days before installing new OS or hybrid I always wiped phone first.

Upvote 0
Let me ask you... When I do full nandroid restore (system, data, etc) is it wiping data and system complete, and then restores? Or just rewrite staff on top of what you have at moment. In other words, is nandroid restore is same as .sbf, root, upgrade to 2.2 and then restore?
In my blackberry days before installing new OS or hybrid I always wiped phone first.

I would always suggest doing a wipe before a restore. It might not always be necessary, but its better safe than sorry.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones