• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MOD][MANUAL] Enable both CPU Cores

customizi

Lurker
Jun 12, 2014
I've been doing a lot of work on the ZTE Flash lately. Hopefully the Flash (and me) will start becoming noticed.

Anyway here's a guide on to enable both cores.

Thanks to Bard over at XDA.

What you need -
Root
Root Explorer

How to -
(1) Locate init.qcom.post_boot.sh in /system/etc folder with your root browser (I use Root Explorer)

(2) Make a backup of init.qcom.post_boot.sh

(3) The Flashes board is 8960, so look for that within the file.

case "$target" in
"msm8960")
;;
esac

(4) At the end of the block you see:
chmod 220 /sys/devices/system/cpu/mfreq
chown root.system /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
chmod 664 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online

(5) Now it should look like:
chmod 220 /sys/devices/system/cpu/mfreq
chown root.system /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
chmod 444 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online

Save your changes and reboot. After the phone boots back up, make sure your changes have been saved. Then try something like CPU-Z from the Google play store to make sure.

Pros-
Performance Increase.
Depending on how you use your phone, better battery. (Less usage, it goes into sleep mode faster)

Cons -
Heavy usage will lower battery life.
(Not by very much.)

Precautions-
Without this mod, this phone gets very hot when outside and in sunlight. Please keep your phone out of direct sunlight.
Inside temperatures are not a big issue.

Hope you like this mod. I am working really hard with this device.

If you have any feedback or suggestions on what you would like the ZTE Flash to have please let me know and I'll try my best.

I don't understand the heat issue - does the mod cause more heat issues or less? And what do you mean by inside / outside?

I think the mod is supposed to make both cores run at full speed all of the time when the device is being used. Since each core would put off heat while being used, both being maxed out during use would increase the heat output, which would increase the chances of getting a heat warning or the phone shutting down when used in a higher heat environment where the heat isn't channeled away as easily. Outside where the heat is usually higher since indoors most people use air conditioning, would generate the most heat because you have to factor in humidity as well, which will inhibit the phones ability to disperse heat as easily. This would be the area he is warning about.

Basically what he's saying is do not leave the phone in a high heat situation. Don't leave it sitting in the car, try not to use it in the car if you plan on sitting still with the air off, don't place your phone in the oven with it set to bake, broil, or clean, or just avoid the oven app together.

Hopefully this explains it, and hopefully I got what the author was getting at with his warnings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones