1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Monthly 4g plans??

Discussion in 'T-Mobile' started by timelord65, Jan 9, 2012.

1. timelord65

timelord65 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 24, 2011
    Verizon customer here looking for a good prepaid alternative. Is it possible to say buy a Galaxy s2 full retail, then use the gs2 on the $30 Monthly4g plan? What's the catch, if there is one?

Thank you

Advertisement

2. JaeWeb

JaeWeb Well-Known Member
    None

Yes. There is no catch. Any 3G or 4G phone can be used on any 4G monthly plan. I love it because there are no extra fees tacked on when you make your payment. Make sure you see how much 4G you actually get because after you use up your monthly allowance you get throttled down to 2G speeds. I have the $60/mo plan which had unlimited talk and text and 2GB of data. I don't even hit 1GB of data each month lol. Still no extra fees.

3. craZDude

craZDude Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    College Student
    If the phone is 3G capable, and you run out of 4g allowance (or the area has no 4g), do you run on that instead of just 2g?

4. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    4G & 3G are the same as far as your data plan is concerned. IOW once you run out of 4G you also run out of 3G.

If an area has no 4G you run on 3G, that is unless there's no 3G either, then you fall back to 2G.

5. timelord65

timelord65 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 24, 2011
    So what's the procedure? Can I walk into t-mobile store and buy the galaxy s 2 full retail, then just sign up online for the $30/month 4g monthly plan? T-mobile doesn't care if you use that phone on a prepaid service? Verizon requires $30 data plan plus 49.99/month for prepaid/smartphone service.

Also, how good is t-mobile service in the LI, NY area and the rest of the country on general?

Thank you

6. John Jason

John Jason Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    I'm supposed to have a job?
    Portland, left side North America
    I have the $70 prepaid plan which gets me unlimited everything, although after 5G of data I am throttled to 2G (Edge). I never use more than 1-2 GB anyway, so that doesn't matter. There are other less expensive prepaid plans with less data.

I moved to T-Mobile from AT&T last summer. I signed up for the $70 a month plan, but did not buy a phone. The T-Mobile store gave me a SIM card which I could use with my ancient (unlocked) AT&T phone. That got me service while I shopped for a better phone. I found a MyTouch 3G on the local Craigslist for $80, in perfect condition. All I did was take the SIM card out of my ancient AT&T phone and put it in the MyTouch, et voil

Crashdamage likes this.