• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

More $10 fee information. (i know, dead horse)

If this is true and works as indicated great. Funny, had Sprint simply asked if I wanted to pay the $10 to receive premium, priority data management, I would gladly have said sure and $10 would have been ok. It was always ok to me since I'm coming from ATT and will be saving a mint anyway.

It's no different than at theme parks now when they offer the front-line ride passes. While I don't like that it costs more, I get to enjoy more of the rides and park on days when the lines are long. I don't resent the park for coming up with the idea. I either pay it or don't.

That said, I wish they did give people the option to not pay the $10. For some, I'm betting they're in areas where it's not overloaded with users at the same time. Population density problem plays a great role. Never had a problem connecting in OH when I go back to my hometown. Connection problems not uncommon at all here in the NYC/Philly/NJ area during peak call times like Mother's Day.

Now, if people test and find out this isn't the case, Sprint'll have some big time 'splainin' to do.

Upvote 0
If this is true and works as indicated great. Funny, had Sprint simply asked if I wanted to pay the $10 to receive premium, priority data management, I would gladly have said sure and $10 would have been ok. It was always ok to me since I'm coming from ATT and will be saving a mint anyway.

It's no different than at theme parks now when they offer the front-line ride passes. While I don't like that it costs more, I get to enjoy more of the rides and park on days when the lines are long. I don't resent the park for coming up with the idea. I either pay it or don't.

That said, I wish they did give people the option to not pay the $10. For some, I'm betting they're in areas where it's not overloaded with users at the same time. Population density problem plays a great role. Never had a problem connecting in OH when I go back to my hometown. Connection problems not uncommon at all here in the NYC/Philly/NJ area during peak call times like Mother's Day.

Now, if people test and find out this isn't the case, Sprint'll have some big time 'splainin' to do.

i suppose we'll find out in the coming weeks

Upvote 0

Exactly. Why they FORCE everyone who wants the Evo to pay for Premium Data is ridiculous. Why not give it us as-is? If the data isn't fast enough, some of us would gladly pay the extra 10 bucks.

I agree with one of the posts: this shareholder-centric approach may work short-term, but in the long run it's happy consumers that keep you afloat.

Upvote 0
I agree with one of the posts: this shareholder-centric approach may work short-term, but in the long run it's happy consumers that keep you afloat.

Agreed, but the harsh reality is there are no longer any other value options to turn to. Economics reality is that Sprint now has set a bar that is lower than others and merely has to keep it there or close. I always expect periodic price increases, and I'm amazed Sprint didn't do $10 on all plans.

Upvote 0
So far, my 3G experience is that my performance is always about the same as my Palm Treo 800W; when the Treo slows down during peak times, so does the EVO. I'm seeing about 650 Kb/s down and 415 Kb/s up on 3G... tell me that's "good" and "priority." I don't buy it (and I won't even start to think about the technical issues related to this theory of priority... it's just BS until proven otherwise).

Upvote 0
My guess is that the "mandatory" aspect of the $10 fee has less to do with the priority data fee and more to do with the fact that USB tethering is included on the EVO. They know that tethering is damn-near impossible to block AND that the primary market for the EVO is tech-savvy people who know how to do it. So, they just left the built-in USB tethering intact and added the $10 fee for everyone.

Just my guess...

Upvote 0
This is such bull, I can't believe anyone would believe this crap.

I remember a couple years ago when I had AT&T... I had the regular $15 unlimited data plan (and later the $10 unlimited data plan) on my AT&T Tilt and AT&T Fuze. Anyway, everytime I would go into an AT&T store the rep would try to get me to switch to the $30 unlimited data plan. Of course, there was absolutely no advantage for me, but the rep would likely get a commission for switching me, so they would try.

Anyway, they always said the same thing, "You will get the priority 3G data with the $30 plan. So when the towers are at full capacity, you'll be one of the ones with access."

Of course, it was all bull. I had a 4 line family plan back then and actually had the $30 data on 2 of my lines for a while, and would run speed tests on all 4 phones (which were always all the same phone) and get identical results.

AT&T eventually did away with that loophole and started requiring the $30 plan on all smartphones, but it was fun while it lasted.

Sprint is cleary pulling the same crap. There is no priority data. If there were, then one of the many people that have a Google Evo would have posted about the speed difference while on 3G. After all, almost every single one of the Google Evo owners also has another sprint smartphone (because they can't activate the Google Evo on their regular line yet).

Why haven't we seen anyone post about it yet? Because it's all a crock.

Visit Explain the Fee! and ask them if Sprint has given them this ridiculous reason yet. They have actually talked to Sprint PR, as well as many reps from various departments. If they haven't heard this yet, then forget about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones