• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Most active photo geotag app?

I've been looking for something that can do this too and I've settled on just using the function within the camera app itself and publishing them into my Picasa account. Initially I wanted something like Panoramio but that I couldn't find anything specific to that service. I think Picasa integrates into Google Earth if you had that in mind too. Plus, if you're a Buzz users, you can also post images from Picasa.

I haven't tested it out yet but I will once I get out of my lead-plated cave of an office. (no reception here)

Upvote 0
Footprints would have been nice if it allowed for some type of online sharing/storage system. I couldn't find anything within the program that allowed that.

The following link outlines how your android phone and Picasa in conjunction can do some rudimentary geotagging. Not sure if it's possible, but it would be cool if those Picasa pics could uplink to Google Earth like Panoramio does.

Geotagging With Android and Picasa 101 | The Developer Dude

Upvote 0
Actually, it appears that Picasa can upload your public geo-tagged images directly to Panoramio! If I'm not mistaken, this is what you'd need to do:

1) Have Android v2.1 w/ Camera App
2) Create a Picasa Account
3) Create a Panoramio Account
4) Turn on the "Geo-Tag Photos" option within the camera settings. (You'll see the GPS satellite icon appear in the corner)
5) After the GPS connection is established, snap the picture.
6) Share/Upload to Picasa into a PUBLIC folder (granted that you have a Picasa account)
7) Within the Web Albums site (you'll have to access it through the internet) go to your public folder where you placed your images), click on one of your images and you'll see a map in the lower right area. There'll be an "upload to panoramio" button. Press it and your image is geotagged into Panoramio.

I'm not sure how long it takes to see them in Google Earth. I figure this is the simplest way to handle things within the google cloud until native apps are made.

Upvote 0
Actually, it appears that Picasa can upload your public geo-tagged images directly to Panoramio! If I'm not mistaken, this is what you'd need to do:

1) Have Android v2.1 w/ Camera App
2) Create a Picasa Account
3) Create a Panoramio Account
4) Turn on the "Geo-Tag Photos" option within the camera settings. (You'll see the GPS satellite icon appear in the corner)
5) After the GPS connection is established, snap the picture.
6) Share/Upload to Picasa into a PUBLIC folder (granted that you have a Picasa account)
7) Within the Web Albums site (you'll have to access it through the internet) go to your public folder where you placed your images), click on one of your images and you'll see a map in the lower right area. There'll be an "upload to panoramio" button. Press it and your image is geotagged into Panoramio.

I'm not sure how long it takes to see them in Google Earth. I figure this is the simplest way to handle things within the google cloud until native apps are made.
Google Photo's Blog ~ Uploading to Panoramiofrom Picasa Web Albums

Upvote 0
Maybe you can try the Panoramio Gallery
9dCvWjrClJWauFr4Sx1aqjehgY4mYkp7W00XmNZc4YDqjtkiN9SjZ8U1I0i6cxAcdVvF

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zingho.near_panoramio_photo_free&feature=search_result&hl=en_GB

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones