• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moto E rooted, how to recover hidden but not lost contacts

Hello

I successfully rooted my phone a couple of days ago, and backed up the data using the 'easy backup' app.

I'm not tech savvy by any means, so it took me a few hours to root the phone, as I had to read and try to understand the techy instructions.
I used SU root checker to verify that it had been rooted successfully.

Now, my contacts are all lost, but only hidden as people have contacted me on my phone, and their names have come up.
I used "easy backup" to back up the data, but when it comes to recovering the data, I clicked on the app, but I don't understand how to get my contacts back.

Could someone give me an idiots guide on how to find my contacts. thanks

So did the contacts disappear after using this "Easy Backup" (which TBH I've never heard of)? Just trying to work out what the cause was.

Have you checked your contacts app to see which categories of contacts it is set to display? It may be as simple as the contacts being one type (e.g. Google) and the phonebook being set to display another (e.g. only SIM or Phone contacts), in which case just setting it to show all types, or the type you actually use, will fix it.

Upvote 0
Hi There,
If you want, we can take this one step at a time to avoid any confusion. Have you tried to view it by login into your google eMail and selecting contacts using a PC browser?
hithanks

yeah that would be good thanks.
I went into my gmail and found my contacts but i don't know how to get them back on my phone.
I dont know what file name/type to look for, or what folder name to look for and i dont know which folder to transfer them too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So did the contacts disappear after using this "Easy Backup" (which TBH I've never heard of)? Just trying to work out what the cause was.

Have you checked your contacts app to see which categories of contacts it is set to display? It may be as simple as the contacts being one type (e.g. Google) and the phonebook being set to display another (e.g. only SIM or Phone contacts), in which case just setting it to show all types, or the type you actually use, will fix it.
Hi

The 'easy backup' is an app i got from google play store.
After i rooted the phone, my contacts icon disappeared.
I know the contacts are not llost, they're only hidden, because i got a call from a friend who was on my contacts list and their name came up.
Dunno if the contacts are hidden on my internal memory or sd card and I dont know what filename or file type to to look for, or which folder to look in.
Sorry i'm not very tech savvy

thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones