1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Moto G is useless after the Android 6.0 update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tmn0627, Feb 9, 2016.

1. tmn0627

tmn0627 Lurker

My Moto G 3rd Gen was already pretty laggy ever since I bought it in mid December, but after updating to Marshmallow, it is now almost completely useless. 90% of the time it takes me 2-3 minutes just to open the phone from the lock screen. Forget running any apps, as again it takes several minutes just to get them open. And whenever I have an incoming phone call, the phone completely freezes up and the screen stays black. I always have to call people back because I miss their calls.

I have tried rebooting the phone, I have been using the Clean Master app, no real progress through either of those. I was using the 1st Gen Moto G before this one, and even it ran better.

Has anyone else had the same problem? Can anyone offer advice? Is this unusual and should I try to get the phone replaced?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Clean Master is garbage. Uninstall that right away. That does nothing for your phone.

It's highly recommended to do a factory reset (before) or immediately after doing an OTA update, especially a major one like Marshmallow.

Factory resets will erase your apps and data. Make sure your contacts and photos are backed up. Use an app like Helium to help you backup

codesplice likes this.
  3. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

codesplice likes this.
  4. rurocking

rurocking Newbie

We have a Moto G3 with 8GB. Before and after the update the phone runs very well and everything very snappy. Don't play games on it just light stuff like mail, weather, and browser.

5. tmn0627

tmn0627 Lurker

Thanks all. I have uninstalled Clean Master and cleared the cache. Seems to be doing better!

codesplice and tube517 like this.
  6. Wipe Cache Partition is always a good idea. Clean Master is always a very very bad idea.

For a major update like Kit Kat to Lollipop I always do a Factory Data Reset after the update and reinstall apps. Pixel Phone Pro, Nova Launcher Prime, and Tasker have backup/Restore capabilities that take care of 95% of my settings.

For a minor update I do a Wipe Cache Partition after the update.

It is debatable ... of course ... I do a Wipe Cache Partition every Saturday as part of weekly maintenance. 99% of performance problems are the result of a fragmented/corrupted cache.

... Thom

tube517 and acejavelin like this.

Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen) release date is unknown..Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown.
Release Date
Reviews