• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moto G is useless after the Android 6.0 update

tmn0627

Lurker
Feb 9, 2016
My Moto G 3rd Gen was already pretty laggy ever since I bought it in mid December, but after updating to Marshmallow, it is now almost completely useless. 90% of the time it takes me 2-3 minutes just to open the phone from the lock screen. Forget running any apps, as again it takes several minutes just to get them open. And whenever I have an incoming phone call, the phone completely freezes up and the screen stays black. I always have to call people back because I miss their calls.

I have tried rebooting the phone, I have been using the Clean Master app, no real progress through either of those. I was using the 1st Gen Moto G before this one, and even it ran better.

Has anyone else had the same problem? Can anyone offer advice? Is this unusual and should I try to get the phone replaced?

Clean Master is garbage. Uninstall that right away. That does nothing for your phone.

It's highly recommended to do a factory reset (before) or immediately after doing an OTA update, especially a major one like Marshmallow.

Factory resets will erase your apps and data. Make sure your contacts and photos are backed up. Use an app like Helium to help you backup

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Wipe Cache Partition is always a good idea. Clean Master is always a very very bad idea.

For a major update like Kit Kat to Lollipop I always do a Factory Data Reset after the update and reinstall apps. Pixel Phone Pro, Nova Launcher Prime, and Tasker have backup/Restore capabilities that take care of 95% of my settings.

For a minor update I do a Wipe Cache Partition after the update.

It is debatable ... of course ... I do a Wipe Cache Partition every Saturday as part of weekly maintenance. 99% of performance problems are the result of a fragmented/corrupted cache.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones