• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Atrix 4G Mobile Minute [Video]

There are plenty of posts in the "now disinterested?" thread of people saying they aren't getting it because of the price.

Plastic casing? How many phones aren't plastic-y? This version of Blur is said to be not as "bad" as previous ones, and can be somewhat addressed with launchers anyway, yes? Not to mention, that's not a negative for everyone. And are there not workarounds to the locked bootloader? Do other phones not have this "problem"? And that really only applies to a small % of the consumers. Imagine if everyone decided to hack their phones...how many would be bricked? Looking at the big picture is the right thing to do...and the devs will probably find ways for the hackers to be happy.

As far as the plastic on this phone, I don't think it is going to be an issue. Marc said the feel of the phone is like that of the Motorola Bravo and the Bravo feels very solid. I would probably prefer the plastic over an all metal casing anyway as the plastic would probably be more durable and less likely to scratch as easy. My Droid bezel on the front which was metal got scratched by the Verizon rep from just putting on a case. As far as Motoblur, what is your issue with it? Some people hate Sense and others hate Blur, they both have similar functionality. They both run widgets, they both integrate your FB and Twitter contacts with your phone contacts if you want them to. Sense may be a little more stylish but they both pretty much do the same thing. You do have to use Blur's widgets, or contacts integration so I don't see what the big deal is. If you could tell me what scares the hell out of you about Blur then maybe I'll understand better. If you are not buying the laptop dock to use Webtop then you won't have to give up your current plan. There are plenty of people that are not buying the dock that are still complaining. The phone is awesome dock or not. If you are not getting the dock then I don't see peoples issue with now saying they aren't getting this phone. That leads me to believe they were planning to get the dock but not really telling us they were. Why now would you have doubts about the phone if you were never planning to get the dock. I am getting the laptop and multimedia dock, I have said this from day one. Am I extremely happy about loosing my unlimited data, no but its a trade off I'm willing to take. I will not go down without a fight. I plan on calling AT&T to try to keep my data. In the end I think I will be happy with this phone and the docks. The laptop dock isn't for everyone and neither is the phone. Everyone is talking about the locked bootloader among other things. News flash, the majority of Android and iPhone users don't care about rooting, jailbreaking and running custom ROMs. A lot of times running custom ROMs does more damage than good. I'd like to have at least root to run TBU and a few other root only apps but when I ran custom ROMs I always found myself coming back to a mostly stock custom ROM because everything just worked.

Honestly, I don't know a heck of a lot about blur myself. I know when I tried it out in a store on other devices that it is was laggy. Sense seemed to be much snappier. Although, I didn't particularly like sense either. I will most likely need to get the phone and play with it for a couple of weeks before I decide how I like it. I guess if I don't then I would return it.

As for the the data plan issue: We are getting mixed responses from AT&T about whether you will be able to get the multi-media dock and not have to pay tethering. My guess is that in the end, if you wish to use firefox on any dock that you will get screwed. And, I am very adamant about not losing my data plan.

Ok, that's a handful of phones that aren't plastic out of....1000's? And plastic doesn't = poor build quality anyway. My iPhone is half plastic and feels fantastic. I like it over the feel of the IP4...a lot of that has to do with the shape of it, but not just that. Plastic and bend and flex....glass surrounded by metal is more likely to break on a drop than plastic with similar form factor.

Blur---some like it, some don't. That's from what I read, never have used it. But how is that different than any other UI? Is there one phone out there that is 100% to your liking on how you interact with it? If so, you should get it. If you use social networking, seems handy. Don't know all the details about it. Pretty sure not everyone likes sense either.

Bottom line is, the phone seems to be pretty phenomenal on its own. Better than anything else on paper. There is no option for a laptop dock with any other phone. So why get a phone with less features, just because you're not happy that you must pay for tethering if you get the dock? Just don't get the dock. If people are buying the phone and docks are sitting collecting warehouse dust, Moto/ATT will realize they've made a mistake.

I agree. I would not get an inferior phone. I would rather wait until some better phones arrive this summer. I really can't see me not trying this phone out when it launches unless they try to take my data plan. If that is the case, I will pass and wait til the next big thing arrives.

Upvote 0
I'm with you on the multi media dock...I'd like to get it, but I'm not losing my unlimited data. So that would be a big disappointment.

I'd hope with the guts of the Atrix, Blur won't show any lag. It'll all be new to me though so I'll have nothing to compare it to. But every vid I've seen with the Atrix, everything seemed to be snappy. Can't wait to try it out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones