• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Motorola Droid Razr HD vs Windows 8 NO Hotspot connection

LAW52

Lurker
Aug 28, 2013
I have a two-week old Motorola Droid Razr HD. Last week it was working fine as a Hotspot with my Toshiba Laptop and Windows 7.
The Laptop died on Friday and on Sunday I got a new one...this time with Windows 8 (curses here)...now the Razr won't connect as a Hotspot to this computer. It connects to all other devices (spent 2 hours at the Verizon store yesterday...all the tablets, I-Phones, etc. played well with the Razr and vice versa). Also able to connect the computer to just about anything that walked into the store and including the Samsung Droid one of the employees had.

Motorola got involved after hour 2 and finally said there was nothing more he could do, it was an issue within Windows 8. :(

So I then spent about an hour at Best Buy where the Geek was sad to inform me, though it is rare, this is a compatibility issue between my phone and Windows 8 and nothing could be done! :mad:

Short of shelling out a boat load more of cash, I am determined to make these two get along! ANYONE out there who can offer a work-around or solution...in English...I am far from the computer whiz though I do understand most instructions.

THANK YOU!

I use mobile hotspot on my razr hd and windows 8, so it's not a Windows 8 problem. If anything it could be a conflict with your computer network card, although as you said, unlikely. Does the computer see the hotspot? Or just can't successfully connect?

I'd go to the computer manufacturer's support website and see if there is any updated drivers for wireless card

Another quick idea, Walmart sells cheap USB wireless adapters, about $35. Although not ideal you could try one out and if it still doesn't connect return it.

And another, create the hotspot on your phone using FoxFi from the market instead of the built in hotspot app, though I doubt this will work its worth a try.

Reactions: OutOfPhase
Upvote 0
The computer recognizes and, in fact does connect to the Razr however, when I try opening a web page (Internet Explorer or Chrome) I either get an error saying I am not connected to the Internet or the Razr goes on "Limited" access and off of Internet access.

I would like to say, the Razr was successful in connecting to my Windows 7 computer, which is what brought up the incompatibility issue with my now Windows 8 laptop.

I have updated all the drivers on all of the devices (and Best Buy Geek actually uninstalled and re installed a few).

There are a great number of Forums out there discussing this and NONE of them have a solution. Intel was being blamed for a driver conflict as well but that did not resolve my issue.

There HAS to be a setting or check box or SOMETHING I am not getting right! I would love to connect with someone who is having SUCCESS with Motorola Razr HD and Windows 8 connecting in Hotspot mode so I can compare settings.

Upvote 0
Try this setting on your PC. Go to Wireless Adapter settings. Right click your adapter and choose properites. Click configure. Go to the Advanced Tab. There you will see a box called Property with a list of items. Look for "Wireless Mode" Click on it. you will then see a value box appear to the right of it. Look and see what it's set on. Click on the pull down in the value box and change it to IEE 802.11 b/g. Then reboot both devices and cross your fingers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones