• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Droid Review: Boxwave ClearTouch AntiGlare Screen Protector

superdesi

Android Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2009
Got my Boxwave Anti Glare screen today and wanted to provide a review for folks who are on the fence.

It came by USPS in an envelope. It was in a thin plastic bag with instructions, one of those microfiber cloths, and something called a cleartouch applicator (basically a thin piece of plastic/cardboard hybrid used to smooth out bubbles under the screen).

Application seemed easy but there was so much dust, hairs, etc getting stuck to the adhesive side of the screen. I read up on a tip here in the forums about applying it in the bathroom with the shower running on hot. That worked really well to say the least. I also took some scotch tape in there with me and removed some lint on there. Before I applied it, I ran it through the hot water in the shower real quick and shook it like a polaroid camera before applying. There were many water droplets on the screen's adhesive side but when I put it on they disappeared and eventually evaporated.

I got it on there pretty nice with no bubbles. There are a few tiny bubble like things on the side but not on the screen and invisible when the screen is on. The screen did indeed lose its nice smooth glass touch. Instead theres a bit of a plasticy feel. But it has its own nice feeling to it so I'm liking it now. There was also loss of optical clarity, definitely noticeable but not to a first time user. but that was easy for me to get used to.

The anti glare works great! I played a video for my mom, sister and I to watch with the lights on and they were able to see it from the angles they were sitting at. Also, smudges and fingerprints are GREATLY reduced, however they still occur. Fingerprints are only noticeable if your hard press the screen and then look for them in the light. Same goes for facial oils.

All in all I am greatly satisfied with my purchase. I was able to rinse the thing in water, apply it under "steamy" conditions and see the amazing results. Yes there is a significant noticeable loss of clarity and you do lose the smooth glass feeling. But the new feeling is just as easy to get used to and does not interfere with touch sensitivity one bit.

hope that helps everyone.

I ordered the crystal clear one. Can't wait to try it out.

As grandmaster B mentioned in another thread, with crystal clear you get the glass like feel and almost 99% optical clarity. I was real tempted to get that one, but the Anti Glare feature plus reduced smudged wooed me over. Shipping isn't too bad either. You should be getting it in a few days hopefully!

Upvote 0
Torn between the two!! Ahh!!! Doesn't the anti-glare one have a smooth matte finish that gives a soft feel? That's the way the iPhone and iPod Touch ones are...

Yes EXACTLY! It is a very nice soft feeling to them. I said plastic because I didnt know how to describe the feeling but soft is the PERFECT description for it! Its definitely not the sticky plastic kinda feeling more like the touch of clear plastic cups but even softer and smoother. When I rub my fingers against it lightly, one can also hear a nice pleasant hissing sound, as if I were petting a snake.....Sorry for the graphic description but I hope that description helped! :D

Bottom Line: It feels reaaally really nice to touch it. However, it is not the glass feeling that the naked screen has.

Upvote 0
I just got my crystal clear yesterday. Ive had antiglare on previous devices over the past 10 years, Boxwave are by far teh best. The antiglare has a great feel to it, much softer and smother then the original glass screen. I am very happy with the crystal clear as well, feels better then the unprotected screen but not quite as nice as the antiglare. Installing requires no water, Im not sure what the earlier poster was thinking but this is an easy to install screen protector and mine went in in lest then 30 seconds with no sign that its even on there, not 1 bubble or speck of dust.

:p Heres a tip for installing that makes it much easier::p

The cut of the protector is very precise, it truly covers the entire screen. The Droid has a slight bezel around the screen and if the protector is not perfectly placed it will catch the bezel on one side and never lay properly on the screen.
When you install the protector lay the droid on the table infront of you horizontally and apply the protector from the side closest to you to the side furthest. Lay the edge of the protector so that is actually touching the bezel clost to you. Its far easier to line up the protecter this way then trying to install it from the long way on the phone. I did 2 of them yesterday and both were flawlwess first shot, GOOD LUCK

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones