• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola G6

Jfalls63

Android Expert
May 15, 2015
Got mine delivered Friday and so far I'm really happy with it. Motorola stayed with the single System partition that is less than 3gb, leaving 24.6gb out of original 32gb for user data. Still has the traditional recovery with all the usual options I've been accustomed to. No NFC but never used it.
Will be putting battery life through usage test this week
Hopefully there will be better Dev support for custom roms with the single System than has been with the Moto X4.

Got mine delivered Friday and so far I'm really happy with it. Motorola stayed with the single System partition that is less than 3gb, leaving 24.6gb out of original 32gb for user data. Still has the traditional recovery with all the usual options I've been accustomed to. No NFC but never used it.
Will be putting battery life through usage test this week
Hopefully there will be better Dev support for custom roms with the single System than has been with the Moto X4.

Wait... What? 24-32 is an 8GB difference.. How is 8GB of untouchable System files OK? Oh wait, you're used to Samsung. Lmao ;) (JK, couldn't resist. Lol) Moto's are nice tho, I love my E4 Plus and will be keeping an eye on the G6. It's or its Play version is supposed to have a Treble setup too, I think

Upvote 0
Didn't do the math, sorry, went by the app
Screenshot_20180604-090432.png

Upvote 0
I've been through several phones in the past 6 to 8 months trying to find something that, to me, measured up to the XPE.
X4- Just something about it that can't make me like it and having OTA update issues.
5T- Loved it. GSM coverage in my area sucks. Had to go back to something Verizon compatible.
LG G6- liked it. Slow to update and not much Dev support for US unlocked 977u
J7- bought it to play with but didn't catch the fact it was GSM only, US Unlocked Version
S5- Got a 900V to play with and have as a backup.
Now, Moto G6.

Reactions: svim and psionandy
Upvote 0
Still mulling my options for a new phone, as VM USA is turning iPhone only. (looking to move to at&t prepaid for service)

Is it possible to move apps to microSD with this phone? That's how I was able to leave extra space on my current phone, a LG Stylo 3. I got that one, just a month before VM announced last year that they would cease selling Android phones after the fall this year. Yeah, nice...

Upvote 0
I have always mounted my SD card as portable storage and haven't seen the option on any of my downloaded Apps to move to SD. Might be possible if formatted as internal but not sure.
I don't use a lot of on device storage so the 32gb unlocked version has been plenty for me.

Upvote 0
So far I have the same amount of apps that I ran on my LG Stylo3, installed on my G6. I've still got just a bit over half of the 32 GB internal storage free. Nice! I don't think I'll need to use adoptable/mixed internal storage for my phone... at least for now. The extra GB of system RAM (3 > 2) vs my Stylo 3 makes a huge difference in multitasking as well.

Upvote 0
No. The newer versions of android don't let you move apps to the sd card.

You can format the card so it works like internal memory though.

Yes, noticed that after I bought the phone and set it up. I'm ok with that. I haven't loaded too many apps, so I'll stick with portable storage for the microSD card.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
No. The newer versions of android don't let you move apps to the sd card.

You can format the card so it works like internal memory though.

Not sure I'd do that one, you'll have nothing but problems in the long run. It'll write and rewrite so much, so fast, it'll burn out that card faster than you can imagine. Then you'll lose important files.. The internal flash memory of the device will hold up exponentially better and longer.
The newer versions of Android are meant to run better anyways, even with such extreme background processes always running.

Upvote 0
What kind of reception are you getting with the G6 ? I bought the G6 play and for the most part it is worth what is costs the only real problem for me is reception. I was thinking about upgrading to the G6 to see if reception is better. From what I have read the GYM play is notorious for poor reception however I can't find much info about the GUY reception.

Upvote 0
I am going to be getting verizion prepaid service in the next week or two and I am planning on getting the moto G6. I am not worried about specs and what not I am simply getting it to use for my job. My truck driving jobs takes me to some rural areas and I have noticed that verizion seems to work well no matter where I have been.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
I am going to be getting verizion prepaid service in the next week or two and I am planning on getting the moto G6. I am not worried about specs and what not I am simply getting it to use for my job. My truck driving jobs takes me to some rural areas and I have noticed that verizion seems to work well no matter where I have been.

No Root. No custom ROMs for VZW.. Good luck

Reactions: joe71
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones