• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Photon 4G pricing spotted!

Thanks for clarifying. I just wanted to be sure, since your comment was like a statement more than speculation.

If you hear anything else, including release date, feel free to share also!

haha i highly doubt that! i've owned a few droid's by motorola and didnt have touch screen issues. had OTHER issues that the phone needed to be replaced a few times, but more of a software issue than anything

Upvote 0
if i get early info sure, not a problem. unfortunately, they are pretty good at keeping that info from employees until it is released to the public tho lol

All good. I don't knock people sharing whatever "inside" information they might have because ultimately, a lot of people can be given information, but nothing can be completely confirmed until the corporation actually shares the info publicly. A lot of people get all bent out of shape when an insider comes into the forums to divulge inside information, but it doesn't end up coming to fruition. I, on the other hand, embrace it just as much as any other information found on the internet.

Upvote 0
I swear the more and more I look at the Photon the more I want it and reading info on its sister At&t version the Atrix with its keyboard/laptop dock i am more ecstatic. I may not even need to go get a tablet if I get the laptop dock. (I was leaning towards the Toshiba Thrive), but I will have to read up on the reviews of the Atrix laptop dock to see if its worth it.
Which brings me back to this thread and us talking about the prices. Whether the Photon is sold at $199 or not, i know that i will be probably in debt by having to buy the laptop dock etc if i did go that route.

TS

Upvote 0
I hope the price point is $199 with contract just like the EVO 3d. If they wold have just released the New evo without the silly 3d and a better camera, I would have jumped all over it.

I think we all share the same sentiment. But honestly, even if it were $100 more, I'd still consider it!...LOL. That's just me though. I know that wouldn't apply to everyone.

Upvote 0
I swear the more and more I look at the Photon the more I want it and reading info on its sister At&t version the Atrix with its keyboard/laptop dock i am more ecstatic. I may not even need to go get a tablet if I get the laptop dock. (I was leaning towards the Toshiba Thrive), but I will have to read up on the reviews of the Atrix laptop dock to see if its worth it.
Which brings me back to this thread and us talking about the prices. Whether the Photon is sold at $199 or not, i know that i will be probably in debt by having to buy the laptop dock etc if i did go that route.

TS

TS-I'm so right there with you! My cousin, who happens to be on AT&T, had been saying for a long time how she wanted the iPhone 4. That is, until she saw my EVO and then I recommended her Dad get the SGS 1 (I know, bad recommendation on my part, but it was the best Android phone on ATT at that time). Long story short, she ended up getting the iPhone 4 as a replacement because her old iPhone died. But after 1 week of owning it, she managed to let her trade it in for an Atrix! Her response was a platinum worthy response: "I can't believe I stuck with the iPhone so long. I LOVE my phone. Thanks for bugging me to switch to the Atrix. It's SO much better than the iPhone and I think I'm gonna get the laptop dock too."

When I recommended the Atrix, that was prior to some of the issues that had been discussed, but since she doesn't really customize all that much, she hasn't had the same issues that others have experienced. But from every video I've seen of the laptop dock for the Atrix, if the Photon has the same or similar capabilities...my personal AND work life will become 10X's more convenient.

Upvote 0
Tell me why this will be better then the EVO 3D, and what it has that the evo 3D does not?

- 16gb internal storage w/ microSD slot as well
- kickstand
- World Phone
- ability to manage/edit microsoft office documents w/o downloading additional app.
- laptop docking capability
- No 3D (well, this is just a personal thing for me because I didn't like the 3D effect, even viewing the screen in 2D, I noticed)
- Lighter than EVO 3D (This factor is important to some, not necessarily for me)
- Better projected talk time than EVO 3D. 10 hours of talk time vs. 7 or 8 hours for EVO 3D.
- 8 megapixel rear camera
- More ergonomic due to angular edges.

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
Tell me why this will be better then the EVO 3D, and what it has that the evo 3D does not?

I would say it is only a slight bit better than the EVO 3d. The biggest thing would be the processor is allot more energy efficient. So when they are both running the same ROM down the line the Photon "should" have far superior batter life.

another is that it is a world phone (big deal to some, not others)

and last but not lease, the screen. The EVO 3d has that extra layer for the 3d and it even effects the way normal 2d looks. It is not bad but in theory the photon should look much better.

To be honest, I don't see the EVO 3d as being much of an upgrade to the EVO. My EVO is a beast with the latest CM7 ROM and tiamat_sbc kernel.

Upvote 0
To be honest, I don't see the EVO 3d as being much of an upgrade to the EVO. My EVO is a beast with the latest CM7 ROM and tiamat_sbc kernel.
I totally agree with that statement 100%, and which is why I am (most likely) going for the Photon 4G. Now if the Korean version of the EVO 4G comes to the states (which is the EVo 3D without the 3D) then it may be a bit harder to decide for some, but with teh World capabilites that the Photon has and that laptop docking I see no contest so far.

TS

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0

Um...hello. It's a world phone and a Android world phone at that. This is like the EVO if it were made for people who have to work in a white collar environment. This is what puts it over the top for me. It's kind of like why business professionals prefer blackberry over the iPhone or Android phones (that is changing now but still). The only thing that would truly put it over the top is if it had a slide out qwerty keypad. TBH I really could care less about the 3d on the EVO3d, the big thing for me was the external camera button and the awesome processor inside. The Tegra chip is nothing to sneeze at and this phone has the shutter button. Plus as I said it's made more for business professionals so I decided against the 3d.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I thought about another factor that might keep the price of the Photon down. It doesn't come with a SD card, like the Epic 4G did before (16gb) or either of the EVO's (4G & 3D - 8gb card). Even though it comes with 16gb of internal storage built in, it's still one less "accessory" that will be provided in the box, so wouldn't that help in justifying a price of $199 or even $249, even though it's a world phone?

Upvote 0
I thought about another factor that might keep the price of the Photon down. It doesn't come with a SD card, like the Epic 4G did before (16gb) or either of the EVO's (4G & 3D - 8gb card). Even though it comes with 16gb of internal storage built in, it's still one less "accessory" that will be provided in the box, so wouldn't that help in justifying a price of $199 or even $249, even though it's a world phone?

I don't know though, they may try to pull the "we're giving you 16gb AND the ability to use a microSD card" and use that to keep the price up. Haha you just never know with the big 3.

Upvote 0
I don't know though, they may try to pull the "we're giving you 16gb AND the ability to use a microSD card" and use that to keep the price up. Haha you just never know with the big 3.

Yeah, I know. Just didn't want to actually type that because I'm sure all of us are hoping for the same price as the EVO 3D...LOL.., but expecting a higher price.

Upvote 0
Sprint Community: Announcements: Motorola PHOTON 4G Debuts on July 31 for $199.99

Offering the perfect balance of features for business needs and fun, Sprintand Motorola Mobility today announced the July 31 availability of Sprint’s first international 4G smartphone, Motorola PHOTON™ 4G. Motorola PHOTON 4G will cost $199.99 (excludes taxes) with a new line or eligible upgrade and two-year service agreement(1). Sprint Premier Customers will have the opportunity to purchase Motorola PHOTON 4G – online only – three days before the national launch, while supplies last.

Quotes from early device reviews:

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

LOL...yeah, you were right. Secretly, I was just anti-jinxing your statement...hahaha...SO glad you were right.

Okay, so I checked the link that someone had posted on the release date thread and from my phone, it showed the full flash info, but on google chrome, it didn't show anything. Then, I checked it on Internet Explorer and made a print screen.

July 24th - $199.99!

http://androidforums.com/2946707-post155.html

-EDIT- Okay, I saw July 24th on the screen, but then in the description it clearly says July 31...LOL...I'm a little to hype about this...hahaha

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones