1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Motorola Triumph Overheated Now Wont Charge

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by captaingrandpa, Apr 16, 2012.

  1. captaingrandpa

    Thread Starter

    I've seen a few posts about this problem with the Triumph but none that seemed to answer my specific question

    I leave my (Unrooted) triumph on overnight as it is my alarm clock, and I must have left the Wi-Fi turned on. As a result it must have rebooted itself over and over all night, killing the battery and overheating it.

    As far as I can tell the whole unit is cool/has been cool for hours, but when I plug the phone into the wall I still get the overehating LED and it won't turn on or charge. I've also tried plugging into my computer but I won't get any LED that way.

    Is there anything else I should be doing?

    I've really enjoyed the triumph since I got a few months ago, but sometimes the wi-fi reboot issue makes me want to switch to a provider that has a phone that won't just shut off for fun every 10 minutes.

    Thanks for any and all responses!
     



    1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!


      Download

       
  2. piper_

    piper_ Well-Known Member

    I too use mine as an alarm clock with wi-fi on all night (plugged in the wall). I have * yet to have this overheating problem, but, that is not to say that it did not happened to you.

    Have you tried taking the battery out for 5-10 minutes, and then putting it back in and then try charging it ?
     
  3. marcusi23

    marcusi23 Well-Known Member

    I've to have done the same thing more than a couple of time and nothing like that has happened. maybe you can get a different battery. i don't think you leaving the wifi on overnight would do that. probably overnight you could have probably had a power surge. i know one night i had a power surge and it fried my ipod touch, monitor and router. not to say u actually had one. but if it overheated once it would probably overheat again, i would just call virgin mobile and get a replacement for the overheating problem. people got replacements for less of a problem ur having.
     
  4. piper_

    piper_ Well-Known Member

    We don't know if *he (assuming, from one grandfather to another) had his phone plugged in or was just using the battery.
     
  5. Rolo42

    Rolo42 Android Enthusiast

    What is the battery temp? (Battery Spy will tell you, graph it)

    I leave BT, WiFi on all the time at home, plugged in and not plugged in and ensconced with a silicone case; I stay ~75F, max ~86.
     
  6. Tokens210

    Tokens210 Android Expert

    I've noticed mine will do this 50% of the time, if wifi is running while plugged in it'll get noticeable hotter, never had wifi reboot issue, but our phones do run lithium-ion batteries so I can see it possibly having reached 100% and u possibly overcharged it which = death for lithium ion, So it to much overheating but i cant see 1 night going that crazy with temps

    But others have had defective USB issues, so if ur lucky enough to have a spare battery or a friend with one you can figure out what the issue is and contact the company


    *hadn't even noticed he noted he tried to charge it afterwards and not if it was actually charging when it happened, this is a strange one my friend
     
  7. TonySnow

    TonySnow Lurker

    Same thing happened to me this morning except I'm probably totally at fault. Here's the deal...

    I've been connecting the positive, negative and polling wires of a charger to my phones battery posts (metal rods on the phone where the battery connects) to charge my battery and power the phone when using at home.

    I've been doing this because the phone's usb port is out of place and hardly ever connects properly.

    This morning i woke up and I had left my phone on the charger charging in that manner. Something I had never done. It was probably charging for about 5-6 hrs. The WHOLE phone was RIDICULOUSLY HOT. I immediately unplugged it and separated the battery, charger wires and phone. After about 5 mins. I tossed them in a plastic bag and thew them in the freezer the cool them down. Not the charger or wires, as they were not hot.

    The phone and battery were in for about 15-20 mins, so not frozen by far. Since removing the phone and battery from the freezer and letting them warm up, the phone will not come back on and i noticed that even with me only connecting the battery to the phone, the phone starts to heat up right below the battery. The battery itself does not get warm... after a couple tries my camera's flash pops on and blinds me for about half a second. and the phone continues to get warm.

    So this is where I'd stuck at.

    Does this mean the voltage in the battery is too high and sending too much energy to the phone (because the camera flash light pops on and phone it self starts to get hot)

    OR

    Does this mean that whatever is below the battery, is damaged? ( I have a image if you'd like to see the area)

    So right now I have my battery in the freezer to remove any ions, electrodes or whatever. Because I feel my first assumption is correct. How could the phone overheat and camera light pop on if the battery is dead(if my first freezing worked)?

    So that gives me hope, but it could be both issues combined...

    I cannot post a link or upload a image of the are of the phone thats overheating because I just signed up for help with this.

    Any comments, help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. and I will respond instantly.

    I DO NOT have a friend with a battery I can swap out and test. So I'm stuck.

    Sorry to be long winded. Should I start my own thread? This title seems perfect although this is a different scenario.

    Thanks.
     

Motorola Triumph Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
0
Reviews
Loading...

Share This Page

Loading...