• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Move AF Community To The Top Of The Forum

AugieTN

Extreme Android User
Dec 9, 2022
Illinois Home & Tennessee RV Home
Just a thought. A lot of forums have something similar to AF Community at the top of the forum. People will first see announcements, Introductions and Suggestions & Feedback. Which I think is a good thing.

I'm the last person to write in Introductions in December, If you take a look, there are large time gaps between introductions.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-15 9.04.46 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-15 9.04.46 PM.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
Appreciate this point.

I've put the "AF Community" at the top of the "Featured Forums" section. I did it this way to preserve vertical space, which is why it got moved down to the bottom back in the day. The "Community" part was awesome as a small site, but when AF became one of the largest sites on the web, expecting "Introductions" and wanting "Suggestions" fell down the priority list. We wanted to focus on the content. Push all those Upcoming and Rumored Phone Forums to the top of the site.

This seems like a good compromise between the two. If everyone prefers it get its own big dedicated section, we can revisite, but let's try this out for now!

Upvote 0
Appreciate this point.

I've put the "AF Community" at the top of the "Featured Forums" section. I did it this way to preserve vertical space, which is why it got moved down to the bottom back in the day. The "Community" part was awesome as a small site, but when AF became one of the largest sites on the web, expecting "Introductions" and wanting "Suggestions" fell down the priority list. We wanted to focus on the content. Push all those Upcoming and Rumored Phone Forums to the top of the site.

This seems like a good compromise between the two. If everyone prefers it get its own big dedicated section, we can revisite, but let's try this out for now!
I think it looks nice up there, and unlike the old vBulleting layout where you needed to scroll for miles, it isn't too bad.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
We could also require new members introduce themselves, but at that point, I think we're creating too large a hurdle for participation.

However, I just noticed the "Welcome E-Mail" for new members was WAYYYY outdated so I turned it off and the "Welcome Private Message" was turned off. We should definitely utilize these, too.... not only to urge people to Introduce themselves but also to give them the run down of the site and how to get the most of it.

I think we're still very much trying to reconfigure the site so I don't want to craft something just yet, but I'd love to hear opinions!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones