• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving files

skkits

Lurker
Jan 19, 2013
Hi

Im a new android user and im currently learning the app link2sd. I have a couple questions and i hope i can learn more from you guys.

How do i partition a 64 GB sd card? Is it 32 GB each for FAT32 and ext2? AFAIK FAT32 is for media and ext2 are for apps.

Can link 2 sd move media (.mp4) to the sd card? My movies are around 500+ MB and moving files from my pc to my phone via usb cable takes hours, so i use the app software data cable and filezilla to transfer these files. But the problem is software data cable only gives me access to my internal memory. I haven

1. You don't need to partition to transfer really, and the 16GB on the Note 2 should be enough to take care of all your apps. Apps are better off on the phone than on the SD card.

2. Link2SD does not move media files. You do that using your PC, or your phone using the My Files app. Although I find it weird that the PC does not see your card. I'm thinking the card is defective. It should see both the card and the internal memory of the phone.

3. Can't help you with the games. And no one will. Pirated software is frowned upon here. Buy them from the Play Store.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Hi skkits, and welcome to AF :)

Apps like Link2SD are mainly used on devices which have very limited internal storage for apps. You would leave media on the fat32 partition, so that one would be much larger than the ext partition. Indeed with a Note 2 the first question I'd ask would be whether you actually need Link2SD at all, or whether moving your media to the sd card would suffice? You can move files from internal to sd using an ordinary file explorer app (I use ES File Explorer, but there are a lot of them to choose from - just search for "file explorer" in the Play Store).

Link2SD is not intended for moving media, just app components. Its main use is with devices that have very limited internal storage, where it allows a rooted user to move apps to an ext partition on their sd card. That bit about "rooted" is also important - if you are not rooted this app is no use to you.

My advice would be to visit the Note 2 forum here and see what other users do to manage their storage :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones