• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving from TMO to ??? (AT&T or Sprint?)

ned4spd8874

Android Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2010
Chicago Area
aftercredits.com
We switched from Big Red about a year and a half ago to TMO. it was a very painful transfer and they never got our accounts quite right. For example, my caller ID shows my wife's name.

We have been contemplating moving away from TMO but aren't quite sure if it's worth it and where to move to. I currently have a M8 and she has a iPhone 6. We still owe on our phones, we are doing that plan where we will own our phones after paying them off. I'd like to upgrade to the S7 Edge and she will probably stay with her phone for the time being.

We were originally thinking about going to Sprint, but I was recently talking to a friend and he says that he's always having dropped calls with them. But AT&T doesn't have very good promos right now. Sprint has that 50% off deal going on and at Costco, they said we would get a $200 (or was it $225?) gift card per line activated on top of the half off deal and paying our termination costs!

Sprint definitely seems like the best deal going right now, however, we don't want dropped calls.

I've searched and can't quite find a carrier comparison site out there, at least anything updated in the recent months. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks!

Oh, also, we're still confused what would happen with TMO and our phones if we do cancel. Do we have to turn them in? But we have been paying on them, so that doesn't quite seem right??? I don't know...

We switched from Big Red about a year and a half ago to TMO. it was a very painful transfer and they never got our accounts quite right. For example, my caller ID shows my wife's name.

We have been contemplating moving away from TMO but aren't quite sure if it's worth it and where to move to. I currently have a M8 and she has a iPhone 6. We still owe on our phones, we are doing that plan where we will own our phones after paying them off. I'd like to upgrade to the S7 Edge and she will probably stay with her phone for the time being.

We were originally thinking about going to Sprint, but I was recently talking to a friend and he says that he's always having dropped calls with them. But AT&T doesn't have very good promos right now. Sprint has that 50% off deal going on and at Costco, they said we would get a $200 (or was it $225?) gift card per line activated on top of the half off deal and paying our termination costs!

Sprint definitely seems like the best deal going right now, however, we don't want dropped calls.

I've searched and can't quite find a carrier comparison site out there, at least anything updated in the recent months. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks!

Oh, also, we're still confused what would happen with TMO and our phones if we do cancel. Do we have to turn them in? But we have been paying on them, so that doesn't quite seem right??? I don't know...

If you owe anything on the T-Mobile phones & stop/cancel service,that balance becomes due immediately.
The phones are yours to keep,but,the balance must be paid in-full,otherwise,they'll become blacklisted & you won't be able to use them on another network.
Even if you trade 'em in with another carrier for credit/rebate,this does not forgive/postpone the balance due with T-Mobile,it becomes due the moment you cancel service.
This is standard from any carrier,whether the phone is tied to a service contract,or,considered a separate item,as on T-Mobile.
Go with whoever best serves the areas you frequent most.
AT&T has decent deals to lure you away,as do Sprint & VZW,just get the details before pulling the trigger.
Talk to both telesales & in-store,one may offer you a better deal than the other...................

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
Check into Cricket wireless, they are owned by AT&T and much cheaper, I have 2 lines with them and have been with them for the past 2 years. Worth to looking into, and you can use your TMO devices for the moment.

Also if you setup autopay, you get a monthly $5 discount per line, https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones