• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Multimedia (HDMI + OTG) dock - not working after power off then power on

findlay234

Lurker
Mar 23, 2016
Hi All,

I have an issue with my Galaxy S4 (CM12.1) and the Leicke Clever Dock multimedia and otg dock I'm using. If I operate the dock by the instructions (plug in usb peripherals then plug in HDMI then plug in usb power before plugging the phone in) it works flawlessly. If I then power off the dock leaving the phone on (i use macrodroid to set it into a low power mode) and then power up again it starts charging but wont transfer the screen to hdmi unless I pull out the phone and plug it back in.

I assume that the issue is the trigger for MHL but I cant understand whether it is something in the phone that isnt putting the usb port into mhl mode or if its the dock not doing something.

A few options I am likely to explore:
1 - Find a new dock that enables this (im struggling to work out whether any of them can, even the official samsung one) (again i want to be able to leave the phone in the dock over night unpowered in a low power mode and then power the dock on in the morning and it to automatically turn on MHL and send through HDMI)
2 - Get the phone to enable MHL when charging (i have searched high and low and cant find anything that might be able to help - this is likely to be a modification to a script which I am fairly comfortable with. I just havent found the solution)
3 - Get the phone to disable and then enable the usb port (dont know if this will even solve the problem - again probable needs scripting)
4 - Other (suggestions appreciated)

Im also investigating screen casting and will see if there is a route there but I will also need the OTG capability. My worry with screen casting is the latency.

Cheers
Findlay

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones