• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Multiple incidences of unwanted icons and widgets

Xytcse

Lurker
Jun 27, 2022
Know this has been investigated before but no clear resolution.
Everytime I use the tablet within the last 3 weeks the number of icons and widgets on my home screen is increasing
Now have 15 Facebook, 30 Drive, 10 Map etc icons/widgets across 9 home screen pages that I cannot REMOVE
Please help!

First thing: are all of these icons for the same app doing the same thing (i.e. take you to the same page in the same app), or are they shortcuts to different things (e.g. different files in Drive)? That would tell us whether you had something creating shortcuts to every specific thing you do or something crazy that just makes duplicate app launcher icons.

Secondly: what launcher app are you using? If you don't know it will be the manufacturer's default launcher (I've never touched a Lenovo tablet so am not familiar with theirs). The desktops are managed by an app called a "launcher", so if something is going crazy on them one possibility is that the answer lies in that launcher's settings.

That bring us to one possible resolution: download and use a different launcher. Then even if the pre-installed one is insane and has no option to fix it it won't matter because you will no longer be using it.

Another thing: have you simply tried searching the system settings for words like "shortcut" or "desktop"?

Finally, any idea what triggers the increase? It presumably isn't every time you turn the screen on or you'd be drowning in these things. Is it related to opening the app? Receiving an update (though you won't have had 15 updates to any of them in 3 weeks)? And if the tablet only 3 weeks old or did it only start 3 weeks ago, in which case did anything happen then (system update, launcher update, installed a theme,...?).

Reactions: Xytcse and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Just had reply from Lenovo community forum that this has become an issue to users following their recent system update!
Disappointingly they hadn’t announced any issue, just waiting for users to complain!
Thanks for your reply, appreciated
here is what i found:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...06-15-22-screwed-things-up/m-p/5153073?page=2

from a post in the thread:
Hi all,

First and foremost, we'd like to thank everyone again for their patience and cooperation throughout this post. We'd like to inform everyone that our developers were able to duplicate the issue on their under the same models and has also informed us that this is going to be fixed on the next OTA (Over The Air) update.

Though, no details has been provided for its ETA (Estimated/Exact Time of Arrival) on when it will be released. Rest assured that we'll let everyone know again once further details has been discussed or released.

Thanks,
Adriel_Lenovo

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones