• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My EVO does not display USB Connection Notification

Can someone please help me? I am having trouble using a car charger to charge my Evo. I used the OEM MOTOROLA SPN5400A for about 6 months with no problems then one day it stopped working. I then bought a RocketfishPremium Micro USB Vehicle Charger. That didnt work either however when I plugged my own usb cord into its built in usb port, it works. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
OK think I figured it out. Look at the cable your using. On the USB side there may be a stamp (Charging Only). If its there you need to get another USB cable, its not ment for data transfer and is a smaller cable. My wife got a new evo about 4 months ago and I just picked one up. Hers came with the Charging only and mine came with the normal cable. Hope this helps.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
OK think I figured it out. Look at the cable your using. On the USB side there may be a stamp (Charging Only). If its there you need to get another USB cable, its not ment for data transfer and is a smaller cable. My wife got a new evo about 4 months ago and I just picked one up. Hers came with the Charging only and mine came with the normal cable. Hope this helps.

huh did not know that. thanx for the tip.

Upvote 0
This is really weird. I had the same problem with a number of car chargers. Whether they would work or not seemed to be a function of how much power the Evo was using. With google navigation turned on, it would not charge. I noticed that if I stressed the cord to the right (while looking at the phone, plug in bottom), it would charge properly. I attached a fat rubber-band via half-hitch to the cord right below the plug, and loop that over the right upper corner of the Evo. That stresses the plug in the mini-USB socket somehow and makes it work. Now I can use navigation on long trips in the car. I don't know what on earth HTC can have done to create such problems with simply plugging in a USB cable, but it is really true that the USB connection is problematic -- and not in any reasonably predictable way!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones