• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My journey from BlackBerry to Android

jrusch

Lurker
Sep 3, 2010
I have been a longtime BlackBerry user. My most recent was the Tour 9630 and before that I had the 8330, 8830, 8703e, and 7250.

Last week I bought my first Android phone, a Sumsung Acclaim with US Cellular.

Here are some random thoughts on my switch so far:

Typing - I miss my BlackBerry keyboard. Typing on the virtual on-screen keyboard results in too many typos. Using the slideout keyboard is better, but too wide to use with one hand. Even using both thumbs it will take some getting used to to equal the speed of typing on the BlackBerry.

Applications - There are more applications for the Android, but unfortunately most of the ones I need I have to pay for. For example, I use Documents To Go. For Android I had to pay for it so I can edit Excel files. On the BlackBerry basic editing is free. Other examples include tethering, autotext, and backup. All free. Some applications are better on the Android, but some are better on the BlackBerry. On the BB I used Pocket Auctions by Bonfire Media. It was lacking many features. The Android version has all the missing features, yay! On my BB I used PodTrapper, great program; for the Android I found DoggCatcher. DoggCather seems ok, but not as easy to use.

I miss my BlackBerry. But I do like the bigger screen of the Acclaim. I do a lot of reading and it makes a big difference. I'm also optimistic that as I get used to the device I will begin to like the application experience more on the Android.

I made it a week so far. I'll see if I can make it 2 without my BlackBerry.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones