• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My list of cheap Accessories - Don't Pay Retail!

baddress

Jul 23, 2010
Retail is for suckers!

Use these things instead:

Car Charger - $5.85 - Motorola 950ma MicroUSB Rapid Rate Smart Charger - Amazon.com: Motorola P513 Vehicle Power Adapter MicroUSB Rapid… - It has overcharge protection, is an OEM part, and really good quality. Read the reviews to make sure you get the correct one.

Travel Charger - $4.09 - Blackberry 700ma MicroUSB Charger - Amazon.com: BlackBerry Folding Blade Micro Charger for BlackBerry 8900, Storm 9530, Tour 9630 (Black): Cell Phones & Service - Has the same exact specs as the Samsung charger.

USB Sync Cable - $1.69 - Blackberry MicroUSB Cable 1.0m - Amazon.com: BlackBerry USB Cable Micro USB 1.0m (Black): Cell Phones & Service - Replacement to hook up to your computer or whatever

3.5mm Audio Cable - $9.36 - iSimple 3.5mm Male-to-Male cable - Amazon.com: iSimple ISVE913 3.5mm Mini Male to 3.5mm Jack: Electronics - Most expensive thing on the list, but it's really high quality gold plated and nice thick noise-insulated cable, for hooking your audio output to the aux on your stereo, computer or car.

3.5mm Audio Cable - $0.87 - http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021811&p_id=6753&seq=1&format=2 - Retractable for carrying with you anywhere. Kindof flimsy but it's small and works ok for a buck!

The above things I personally have and tested and they work well.

Found a great deal on accessories? Post and I'll add it to the list.

I have a micro usb charger for my bluetooth headset, when I attempted to charge the phone with it it put it into USB mode like it was connected to a computer. It still charged but I found that a little strange. Is that normal for non-samsung usb chargers, anything to be concerned about, does it charge at the same speed (I thought charging via usb on your computer was supposed to be slower than connecting it to an outlet)?

Upvote 0
When the stuff ever gets delivered to me, I'll let you know. I know the charging depends on the milliamps how fast it will charge. I think the phone can draw up to 1000ma. I don't want to take the battery out right now but it's listed under the battery what the phone can draw.

Upvote 0
My theory is I would never put unleaded gasoline in my new dodge charger, so i wouldn't put $2 cables in my samsung captivate. Those cheapy accessories come with a huge price tag, coming from 8 years as a wireless tech i have seen the outcomes of overcharging phones because these guys DON'T stop when your battery is full. Well guess what, you now have a burnt up battery. And if that doesn't happen right away well li-ion batteries last for cycles. X amount of recharges. Every night that thing sits on a charger (cheapy one ) you are basically recharging it numerous times thus killing your battery over a shorter time. Well that's a hassle for you and possibly 50 bucks or more out of your pocket for replacement. But then again I'm sure someone will find some sh*tty a$$ battery for 10 bucks online and post here too, problem solved i guess, or is it?

Upvote 0
My theory is I would never put unleaded gasoline in my new dodge charger, so i wouldn't put $2 cables in my samsung captivate. Those cheapy accessories come with a huge price tag, coming from 8 years as a wireless tech i have seen the outcomes of overcharging phones because these guys DON'T stop when your battery is full. Well guess what, you now have a burnt up battery. And if that doesn't happen right away well li-ion batteries last for cycles. X amount of recharges. Every night that thing sits on a charger (cheapy one ) you are basically recharging it numerous times thus killing your battery over a shorter time. Well that's a hassle for you and possibly 50 bucks or more out of your pocket for replacement. But then again I'm sure someone will find some sh*tty a$$ battery for 10 bucks online and post here too, problem solved i guess, or is it?

What type of gasoline would you use other than unleaded?:) Seriously, it has been shown many times that expensive cables are not better than inexpensive ones. Many audiophiles with thousands of dollars of equipment use inexpensive cables such as ones from Monoprice. Inexpensive doesn't always mean poor quality. There are many good quality cables, chargers,... that are very good quality.

Upvote 0
While I generally agree don't cheap out, if you've just spent $200 on something don't turn around and hassle over $3 (or whatever the price difference might be) between a dependable OEM product and some cheap knock off. But the charger in question is made by blackberry, not exactly a company known for producing bad quality hardware (software on the other hand...).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones