• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My new Desire has packed up

Dave L

Apr 30, 2010
Thailand
I have only had my Desire a week and it's already stopped working. I got it all set up just how I wanted it. Installed a few apps and all was well.
Today I was showing someone the phone as they were thinking about getting one. It suddenly turned itself off and now just continually reboots. Doesn't even make it to the main screen.

The only way to stop it in this continuous reboot cycle is to remove the battery.

I have tried holding down Vol- while powering up and tried each of the options on the little boot menu but nothing has changed. Just the continual rebooting.

Looks like it's going to haver to go back for replacement :(

Any news on this issue?

My issue seems exactly the same. And i'm reluctant to send it back just yet unless there is an easy fix.

I found if you leave the battery out for an hour or so, it will allow you phone to boot. But doesn't last long after that. I assume its a bad app or something causing the problem.

Upvote 0
If it is a bad app, then a factory reset would do the trick, but I had the same problem with mine and nothing worked. I sent it back to HTC who couldn't find anything wrong wity the hardware, and they reflashed the ROM. Had it back for weeks nowand it runs perfectly. Either get it replaced or call htc. It looks like a few people have had the same issue. I wonder if there was a batch of desires flashed with a dodgyROM?

Upvote 0
I found if you leave the battery out for an hour or so, it will allow you phone to boot. But doesn't last long after that. I assume its a bad app or something causing the problem.

Something that springs to mind is that you could have a heat-related problem. Flawed chips can cause problems when they're out of a certain temperature range.

You might be able to verify this theory by wrapping the phone in a plastic bag and sticking it in a freezer for a short while instead of leaving the battery out for a couple of hours.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones