• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My personal kernel findings.

I'm still trying to figure out why SetCPU won't go over 1.0 GHz on the P3Droid 1100 kernel. I'll try the 1.2 GHz kernel and see what happens.

EDIT: Okay, 1200 works for me. I can go up to 1.2 GHz with SetCPU with this kernel. I'll give this a spin for a while and see what happens.
Because on the P3 kernel download page it is the wrong link. Go to my droid world to get it or rom manager.

Upvote 0
Anyone have trouble with wifi on the p3 1ghz tether. Im rooted 2.1 no custom ROM, Ive tried wifi tether and barnacle. Now Im on Wifi tether most recent 202.9 experimental. No luck. I can connect ad hoc but no internet. Would running power from the USB interfere? Also I have Securet live stream demo and it wont recognize my linksys wireless network....I there a setting im missing....Wifi on droid is enabled for live stream and disabled for the tethering....??????

Upvote 0
Anyone have trouble with wifi on the p3 1ghz tether. Im rooted 2.1 no custom ROM, Ive tried wifi tether and barnacle. Now Im on Wifi tether most recent 202.9 experimental. No luck. I can connect ad hoc but no internet. Would running power from the USB interfere? Also I have Securet live stream demo and it wont recognize my linksys wireless network....I there a setting im missing....Wifi on droid is enabled for live stream and disabled for the tethering....??????

My phone is same. What computer/OS are you on? Right after I installed the P3 1ghz kernel, I just had to try the wifi tether. On my laptop with d#$mn Vista Ultimate, it would connect but no internet. Tried my wife's older Dell w/ XP Pro, and it connected with internet... I'm saving up for Win7 for this one.

Upvote 0
I've been using P3 1000LV the bekit kernels blow balls on my phone. Poor performance and poor battery life, and unstable.

I also installed juice defender and I onnt know if its that or p3 or both but my battery lasts literally is twice as long.

Same here. I've never had a low-voltage kernel that rebooted at 1000MHz besides bekit's kernel. P3Droid's works for me up to 1250MHz, which is how my phone always was (I could never get 1300MHz even with increased voltage kernels).

Upvote 0
I started with the standard stock 2.1 Root and fooled around with that, installed the p3 LV 800mhz kernel and Overclocked with SetCPU. After trying that out for a bit I did a data/cache wipe and installed NexBeast 1.0.1.

I used the stock kernel for a bit but was unimpressed with my temperatures just doing standard stuff (while web browsing my temps would go up to 105 F or higher)

So I then installed the P3 1 ghz kernel and under-clocked at 800 max. temperature is better. (comes out of sleep between 57 and 64. Doing some browsing takes me up to 86 or so, back down to low 70s when I return to Home)

6.618 MFLOPs on Linpack running 800 max 500 min conservative.
8.303 MFLOPs running 1000 max 800 min performance

battery life wasn't amazing Full charge at 10 AM, 60 percent by 3PM. (5 hours)

I also didn't like how when I went to "about phone >battery use" it would not list all running apps or services, only a few core system apps.

Anyone else have that experience on P3 kernels?

So installed the belkit 1 ghz kernel. My battery has improved significantly! I am still under-clocking at 750 for day to day use. Temperatures are about the same as with P3 1 ghz, but now I have battery life too.

Currently 14h 20 min since last unplugged; battery level at 60 %.
I used it as much today on that charge as I would want to any other day typically...

6.237 MFLOPS 750 Max 550 min conservative
8.315 MFLOPS 1000 Max 900 min performance

Upvote 0
Running bekit LV 1ghz kernel. This kernel at 750mhz is the sweet spot with my phone when it comes to battery life and temps. Temperature never go over 34C and I am currently at 60% battery with 15 hours since being charged (regular phone use). Chevy kernel was the worst for mine. Temperatures went into 40s all the time and battery wouldnt last a whole day.

Upvote 0
I've been running the Chaos (Adrenalyne) kernel for a couple of days now, and it is flying fast and really staying cool. It's at least as fast or faster than the Bekit 1.2Ghz IV kernel I was running and far cooler at idle and pushing my Droid than the Bekit kernel ever was. Kernels Thread - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

The current version doesn't support TempMonitor CPU temps, but I can get that from SystemPanel (free in the market).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones