1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support My phone number is incorrect...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jooky85, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Jooky85

Jooky85 Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Lo all,

First post, go easy! Bought myself an unbranded/unlocked Desire this week and still getting to grips! Anyway, I was previously on vodafone with another phone, and stuck a new Virgin Mobile simcard in my Desire. Everything fine and hunky dorey. Then today I've had my old vodafone number ported onto my Virgin sim card. That *works* in that people can call me on it etc.

However, when I go into Settings -> About Phone -> Phone Identity the phone number is wrong, its the number that originally came with my Virgin simcard, not the number that is now associated with it.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. d.chatten

d.chatten Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    UK
    You either need to put your sim card in to a phone that allows you to edit your own number, or you need a sim card reader and the right software to edit your own number, most old phones allow you to to do this, also, search the android market on your phone as there may be an app on there that does what you want.

3. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Button Moon

Welcome to the forum.
    Try rebooting your phone & see if the phone number updates.
    I got an idea though that as virgin mobile sim cards are like o2 pay & go sim cards, the phone number is coded into the sim card its self.
    The virgin mobile system associates your ported number with your sim card phone number & it gets connected.

4. ThreeDog

ThreeDog Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2010
    as long as it works and you can receive calls with the old number then i would not worry.

5. fried

fried Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2010
    The same thing happened to me, although it's not an issue as it doesn't affect the functionality of the phone. I edited the SIM card number using a mate's Blackberry and now it shows the correct number in Phone Identity, but if you never edit it, it won't really make a difference.

I believe there's an app on the Market that allows you to use your phone like a walkie talkie with friends that also have Android phones and that app installed, and I believe this app uses the info in Phone Identity to work. That's literally the only example I can think of where you would need to correct the number.

6. Jooky85

Jooky85 Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Cheers for the responses guys, appreciated. Its a little better if its not going to affect anything then. Still mildly irritating. I might try and lay my hands on a sim card reader and some free software at somepoint. Had a quick look on the marketplace and not seen anything obvious.

7. kredda

kredda Active Member

Jun 24, 2010
    UK-North West
    so would it not affect it if he has something like sim checker pro ? or wavesecure ?

8. no fit state

no fit state Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Milton Keynes
    Mine just show's the number as unknown.

Only found this out when I tried to use one of those push to talk (walkie talkie) apps.

9. Ceefax

Ceefax Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    Heh never looked before. Mines the same, ported a number from 3 to T-mobile, phone says the T-mobile number though actually my number is my old 3 one.

Never had any problems in the few months i've had it so not worried!

10. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    UK
    Talk to your network, and they can force the update push to your SIM.

*Usually* this happens seamlessly a few weeks after porting as the old number gets reissued.

11. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Rail Consultant
    Wigan, UK
    I ported to Virgin with my Desire and the number does update on its own in good time :D

12. fried

fried Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2010
    If you've got a mate with a Blackberry, put your SIM into their phone, then go to Options - Advanced - SIM options - Edit SIM number (something like that anyway). I read in another thread that someone took their phone into their local network operator's shop and the shop assistant put their SIM in a Blackberry and edited it for them.

13. benchmark

benchmark Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Mine says Unknown too.

14. Jooky85

Jooky85 Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Thanks again fellas, decided I'll wonder into the Virgin shop tomorrow before the football and ask them in there. Failing that, I'll see if it fixes itself in a few days/weeks. My dad does have a blackberry, but I've a feeling its locked...

15. psyxologos

psyxologos Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Lancaster, Lancashire
    I ported my number from O2 back to orange and I have the same thing. My phone thinks I have the 'temporary' number, not the one I ported over. As stublake13 says, I will wait for a month or two and if it does not change I shall put it in my nokia N95

16. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Mine did the same. Been like it since I bought it now.

17. cdbandit

cdbandit Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Having just spent 20 mins talking to O2 about this very problem, it seemed that the 'too difficult light' came on within their technical support department.

The advice was firstly to do a factory reset and if it did not pick up the new number I was to contact HTC support :thinking:

The support person said that in the 4 years of her working in the technical department, she had never heard of this problem or about pushing SIM updates to update the embedded telephone number.

I think I'll ask my Blackberry owning friend if I can use their phone to edit the number stored on the SIM.

18. d.chatten

d.chatten Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    UK
    Firemamsan123 likes this.
  19. EmperorKabir

EmperorKabir Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    my number is also wrong, but it makes no difference. you can still make and receive calls from your own number no problems. ignore it basically.

20. cdbandit

cdbandit Member

Jun 18, 2010
    ::UPDATE::

Just managed to change the MSISDN phone number stored on the SIM, using my sons LG Cookie!
    Correct number now showing in Phone Identity.

21. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    UK
    Your network should be able to resend the MSISDN to the SIM.

22. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Think i'll have to go this route as only Blackberries I know are on the wrong network.

Need to change it as apps such as Pingchat dont work correctly when the number is wrong.

23. AceMathias

AceMathias Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    Mine took a while (maybe a month) but it eventually changed on its own, not sure what caused it though.

24. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Well T-Mobile on the phone didn't know how to change it and told me to go to a T-Mobile store.

But the girl in the local store was only young and seemed more sales than technical..

25. choi

choi Active Member

May 12, 2010
    Mine says "Unknown". It doesn't affect anything i don't think so there's nothing to worry about. It's been like that since i ported my number over which was early June as well :)

Tags: