• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My TBolt Vs GNex comparison

CharlzO

Android Expert
Apr 2, 2011
Just to give my impressions for any others who may be on the fence, between the Thunderbolt and Galaxy Nexus.

First off, my Thunderbolt has been problem free, so any issues users may have with their own phones may obviously play a larger factor in the decision to stay or switch. I also have a stock unrooted Bolt, so rooted users may already have improvements in certain areas over mine to compare to. Also, while some of what I am about to say will be factual, my own opinions will also come out, so keep that in mind too :)

Comparo:

Screens... In most settings, you actually won't notice that the GNex has a larger screen, due to the "home" row being visable. It isn't until you are running a full-screen video that they disappear (and other apps will as well, I'm sure). With them visable, the screens are almost identical in size. What you WILL notice, is the quality of the screen on the GNex being so much more vivid and brighter than the TBolt. While noticeable at most levels that I could tell, it's definitely the case at full brightness, especially in sharpness of text. Some people might not really notice it unless sitting side by side, but once you play with the GNex for a while, you'll notice it going backwards.

Snappiness...processor and phone speed "feel". This is obviously a win for the GNex, since it just has a newer, faster, doubled up processor. Plus whatever they do behind the scenes with ICS and everything else, it is noticeably quicker in feel than the Bolt. Not that the Bolt is a slouch, but it's 8 months old. I've had no issues with either lagging, either on stock UIs or using launchers. Just the GNex is quicker.

Volume...People have been saying that the GNex is suffering from a volume issue for many things. While I can't say for sure that it's THAT big a difference, I have noticed that it is somewhat quieter in volume than the Bolt in many things. But, look at the speaker. The Bolt is a bit better in this capacity, at least for now. There's talk that a software fix may address the quality of the sound and volume out of the Nexus.

Signal Strength...documented by many that the signal strength on the GNex is a little weaker than other phones, Bolt included. My bolt has had no issues with fringe areas. I haven't hit those same areas with the GNex yet, but this is another one that people are hoping for a software fix for. In "normal" areas, I've seen no noticeable difference in usable signal.

Fit and Finish.. The Bolt definitely feels heftier, as it should, being as it weighs over an ounce more. Some people like the sturdy feel to it, and believe that the GNex would feel cheaply made by comparison. I have to disagree. Even though it's light, I still get a sense of decency from it, and feel comfortable having it in hand. Means my arm won't get as much of a workout on long phone calls I guess.

Camera...The bolt has more MPs...the GNex is just...dayum. The ability to shoot virtually as fast as you can hit the shutter button is impressive (even if it loses a little focus). The screen definitely shows the sharpness of camera pics. I haven't had good weather to try, but if the video is anywhere like the Fascinate was, it'll be easily more than adequate for almost anyone using it. So unless you have a need to get a well-lit environment, lock your phone to a stand, and take a picture you intend to blow up ridiculously large, you aren't going to notice the difference between them.

Battery...GNex, hands down. Just the numbers itself, stock for stock batteries, the GNex is an 1850, the Bolt was a George Costanza-Shrinkaged 1400! So that's a plus. Also, with having the screen down to 50% brightness, it's still great looking, and lasts a while.

There's really no comparing the ICS to GB between them stock, so I won't even bother. There are things to get used to, like the menu options, and such, but most Android users migrating over, will be fine with it. Just takes some getting used to. Users new to Android are going to have a learning curve to start with, so they'll be learning the new ICS techniques anyway.

Personal opinions...I really wish we had removable memory. I mean, I know we get 32GB worth internal which should be plenty. But I still like having the option to back things up to a card, as a safety net. I miss my kickstand. I know there are cases that have it, but...I still miss it. :( The not having to root to get rid of the VZW stuff is sooo refreshing tho!

There are some other ones that some people may care about:

Thunderbolt Pros:
* Ability to talk and surf on 3G networks - I know it's slow, but it CAN be done. If I remember correctly, it's also the ONLY phone Verizon has that can sufk while talking on the 3G network without being wifi connected for the data side.
* Kickstand. Nuff said.
* Higher MP camera on the rear. For what it's really worth.
* Feels "sturdier"

Thunderbolt Cons:
* Bloatware unless you root
* Older model, so new tech is passing it in some ways.
* Heavier phone, some people may like lighter phones.
* Some users have had repeated issues (Granted this happens with every phone, so..take it for what it's worth)

GNex Pros:
* Screen quality.
* Better Battery Life (than the Thunderbolt..mileage may vary)
* Lighter
* Pure Google - Faster Updates
* No Bloatware
* ICS out of the box

GNex Cons:
* No MicroSD slot
* HDMI requires an adapter (but at least it's an option)
* Some people may think it feels "cheaper"
* Smaller Camera Megapixel rating (pictures are still stunning tho)
* Not all apps compatible with ICS yet, and some at all..like Verizon's Visual Voicemail not an option on a stock Nexus. I for one actually liked having it, and had no problem paying 3 bucks for it..

GNex Cons that may be fixed (thereby possibly being a non-issue for some)
* Signal Strength issues
* Volume Issues

All in all, I am very happy with the Nexus, though it's only been a day. I still have my Bolt in reserve, and don't think I'll be selling it off, even though it would pretty much cover the cost of the Nexus. It's never given me a bit of trouble, and there's still an adjustment period for the newness.

EDIT: Just to add an update after a few days of solid use:

I know a lot of people are complaining about signal strength in 4G areas, and a lot less about 3G only areas. I haven't been in a 4G market with mine since I got it, but I have had no change in USABLE signal on this phone, from my Thunderbolt, and all the other phones I've had. Regardless of what the "bars" show, I've had no dropped calls, or cutting in or out, or anything like that. Again, that's in a 3G only area. And again, rumor has it a fix is in the works for the rest.

Battery life has been fine, better than my bolt with similar use. This morning, 5 hours on, I've had this thing on a bunch, done a fair amount of texting, and I'm only down to 70%. And I keep my screen on 100% brightness, because hey, it's a gorgeous screen :)

To revisit the volume issues, it's really only watching some videos that I've noticed it being much different than other phones. Otherwise, it's plenty loud enough in every other aspect. Some have mentioned ringing being low with the stock tones. I can't say that I've seen that in my case.

Sadly, there haven't been moments yet where I've thought "damn, wish I was still on the Bolt". It was a great phone, it STILL is a great phone.

xeno2011 said:
I especially enjoyed the Seinfeld reference!:D
Was one of those ones that hit me outta nowhere and I had to put it in there!

jmz768 said:
After everything I've read so far, the Nexus isn't worth upgrading to.
Depending on what you currently have, it really might not be worth it for you. Since this is a Bolt Forum, I'll venture a guess that you currently have one :p And honestly, if you are happy with your bolt, there aren't any HUGE reasons to upgrade, other than ICS, straight from the G-men updates, and the better screen. And that's really only a selling point if you're on a stock bolt with no intentions of rooting (which is me...I never rooted, nor plan to). The other reason...it's new, and sometimes that's enough for some people. I know I got hooked on "ooooh shiny-itus".

Pound for Pound, the Thunderbolt is still a great phone, and will still be on par with many new devices still for a bit, I'm sure. And with what's out there for it for ROMs and options, it's very easy to bump it right up to pretty much what the Nexus is. I still look at the desk with the Bolt sitting there, and miss it lol.

Upvote 0
Great comparison. I was hoping some tbolter would do this. I have an upgrade and want to play with the Nexus in the store, but as a rooted tbolt owner, I feel I have the luxury of waiting for the next gen. ICS seems like a step back to go two steps forward at the moment, what with all the apps that don't work on it yet. And as a rooter the future updates from google thing is less important; I'd be rooting the GNex anyway if I got it. And you're right about the kickstand; it's just so darn useful on the Tbolt and even the ones on cases only work for landscape mode.

Reactions: CharlzO
Upvote 0
I have had the GNex since Friday night. I would agree with this review. Very solid. Also, for me, this was a great use of my upgrade. You Bolters will chuckle if you roll over to the Nexus forum. It reads like ours did early on. There are a lot of people who are disappointed for all sorts of things. For me, its a great tool.

One big change is the use of internal memory vs. sd card. Not better/worse, just different. One big thing is that it makes syncing music and other things that aren't MPT compatible more difficult. I have no problem moving basic files and other things like i do on my sd card. Having a backup of the "card" for comfort is no different than moving those things (or a nandroid) over to a backup drive on your computer. Don't let that be the reason you pass up on the Gnex. The screen is awesome! The speed is awesome! There is absolutely no lag anywhere, anywhere.

Good luck friends!

SS

Upvote 0
Went and played with one in store and i gotta admit....it is pretty awesome.
the screen is simply AMAZING. for some reason i thought i was going to be underwhelmed by the 720 resolution since the rezound didn't blow me away.......boy was i wrong.

again, the phone doesn't feel any faster than my T-bolt running CM7, but the overall package of the hardware/software is a home run.

i have an upgrade in March, and i will probably upgrade to the Nexus. yeah i will be buying a 2-core phone in a 4-core world, but there is just something to be said about a pure google phone. maybe, just maybe, the galaxy SIII will be out, and maybe that can pull me away from the nexus...but it is going to have to be a lot better to do it.

Upvote 0
You bought the Nexus for under $100?!?! I gave my TB away since I figured I wouldn't make up much of the cost towards my upgrade.

Around here locally, people are still able to get $300 for a used Bolt, so it would end up being even for me at that point. Considering I have a couple batteries, Seidio cases, and the like, it would pretty much do it.

The more I think about it, I think I might sell it off. As much as I love holding on to things, I haven't had any complaints on the Nexus. I might hold off another week, but with Christmas next week, I might jump early for a few extra bucks.

Upvote 0
if I were going to buy a GNEX outright (which I'd have to at least until my wife's upgrade eligibility in january but that will likely go towards the droid 4 since she has to have a physical keyboard) I'd at least wait to see how well a stable ICS port performs on the Tbolt even if that takes several months.

Because I need to know if its the GNEX hardware or hardware acceleration thats making this thing reportedly so snappy. its getting better reviews for speed than the SGII which has superior graphic processing. The rezound battery has given me great battery life (TB flaw #1) so if ICS with hardware acceleration can give me a speed boost beyond GB AOSP I really dont need to have the latest/greatest just because.

Upvote 0
Pretty spot on. Although I think a rooted TB is much better on battery than a GNEX. Although, when a rom comes out for the GNEX...honestly, though, i never had bad battery with my TB and now that it has the rezound battery in it. Its been much nicer.

The gnex is a great phone, but i'm sorry, if you are looking for a 4.7" screen - you're hoping that modders can remove the software buttons. 90% of the time you have a phone touted for its 4.65" screen and yet only 4.3" is useable.

Really nice phone, but wait for the Edge if it comes out on verizon.

Upvote 0
great comparison! i agree with every single point you made. i absolutely loved my thunderbolt on liquid 3.3, but i just couldn't resist a nexus on verizon.

a few other things i've noticed making the switch:
  • i prefer having the power/lock button on the top as it is on the thunderbolt, instead of on the side like it is on the GNex
  • i actually do miss my kickstand! i never thought of it as a great feature when i had it, but there have already been several situations where i wished i still did with the GNex
  • HTC really needs to offer multi-colored notification lights. even using lightflow, you are limited to orange and green. with the GNex i have blue for sms, white for missed calls, purple for mms, orange for one gmail account, green for another gmail account, and red for low battery. it is so nice to instantly know what kind of message you have without turning on the screen.
  • i miss my 4G/3G toggle widget! i know it was specific to the ROM on my 'bolt, but the GNex devs haven't given us that capability yet. doing it through settings every time is pretty annoying.

Reactions: CharlzO
Upvote 0
I have no problem moving basic files and other things like i do on my sd card. Having a backup of the "card" for comfort is no different than moving those things (or a nandroid) over to a backup drive on your computer. Don't let that be the reason you pass up on the Gnex.

Good point. I have a removable 32Gb micro-SD card on my Thunderbolt (as most do) and I don't think I've had to remove it yet for any reason. If I want to transfer files to/from it, I just connect the Usb cable and do it that way, as it's easier than removing the card and plugging the card into a usb adapter, and then plugging it into the computer. Your data is no more secure on a microsd card than it would be on internal storage, and no less accessible either.

I will probably skip the Gnex. Mainly because I will not be eligible for another upgrade for at least a year, and by then there will be the Gnex2 or equivalent, and I'll probably upgrade to that one. Also, I am rooted and running an AOSP gingerbread rom with many ICS mods, and themes and so I feel like I get a lot of the cool stuff from ICS without any of the incompatibility issues or just plain old new phone bugs. I am extremely happy with my TBolt and it will carry me through to the next generation nexus phone which I will most likely upgrade to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones